Brewers outslug PiratesMay 1, 2013 - 4:53 AM
Jonathan Lucroy and Carlos Gomez each had two hits and an RBI and Martin Maldonado hit a two-run double for the Brewers, who extended their winning streak to nine games versus the Pirates en route to picking up the team's eighth straight home victory.
Milwaukee starter Marco Estrada tossed five innings and allowed five runs, while Tom Gorzelanny (1-0) picked up the win with a scoreless seventh inning in relief.
"Rickie was in early today and worked with Johnny (hitting coach Johnny Narron) and they worked on some things," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said. "I don't know exactly what it was, but he had a really good day. He's had some better at-bats lately."
Andrew McCutchen was one of four Pittsburgh players to hit a home run and finished 4-for-5 to go along with two RBI. Starling Marte hit a three-run shot, Russell Martin hit a solo homer and Gaby Sanchez added a two-run bomb in the setback.
"My confidence is always through the roof," McCutchen said, "regardless of the outcome. If you just focus on the results, it's going to be a long season. All you can do is keep playing. We fought back and we will continue to fight."
Vin Mazzaro was charged with a blown save in the sixth and Bryan Morris (0-1) absorbed the loss, allowing one run on two hits over two innings.
Martin and McCutchen hit back-to-back jacks with one down in the fifth to close the visitors' deficit to 7-5. Pittsburgh then looked to take control in the sixth versus the Milwaukee bullpen. Facing Burke Badenhop with runners on first and third and two outs, Marte crushed the first pitch he saw to deep center to make it 8-7.
It was short-lived, though, as the hot-hitting Brewers utilized the long-ball in the following innings to remain dominant in the recent series.
In the bottom of the sixth, Segura clubbed a solo shot to right-center, his second homer in as many days, and Betancourt followed with a solo blast -- also to right-center -- in the seventh, to make it 9-8.
Weeks capped the scoring and added some extra insurance in the eighth with a three-run shot to right-center which all but sunk the Bucs.
In the first, McCutchen's RBI single up the middle scored Marte, who hit a leadoff double to start the inning.
Weeks and Betancourt walked to open up the second inning and scored on Maldonado's double to left. Estrada helped his own cause with an RBI single and Maldonado scored on Garrett Jones' fielding error to make it 3-1.
Sanchez provided some offense for the visitors in the third with a two-out blast, his fourth of the season, to right field to tie the game. Gomez's RBI double to left in the bottom of the frame, though, scored Weeks to put the Brewers up 4-3.
In the fourth, Lucroy hit an RBI double to left and Weeks followed with a two- run poke to center to make it 7-3.
Estrada has 46 strikeouts and four walks in 42 2/3 innings against the Pirates all-time ... Milwaukee's Ryan Braun went 3-for-5 with two runs scored ... Milwaukee improved to 46-7 since 2007 versus Pittsburgh at Miller Park ... Marte's three-run homer was originally called a double, but the play was overturned after it was reviewed.
- PITTSBURGH: 8
Apr 30 11:51 PM
- Rickie Weeks one-out, three-run Home Run (2) to right center scored Ryan Braun and Jonathan Lucroy. Carlos Gomez due up.
Pirates 8, Brewers 12 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 30 11:29 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt lead-off Home Run (6) to right center. Martin Maldonado due up.
Pirates 8, Brewers 9 Bot 7, 0 OutsApr 30 10:53 PM
- Jean Segura lead-off Home Run (3) to right center. Ryan Braun due up.
Pirates 8, Brewers 8 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 30 10:24 PM
- Starling Marte two-out, three-run Home Run (2) to center scored Brandon Inge and Jose Tabata. Russell Martin due up.
Pirates 8, Brewers 7 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 30 10:19 PM
- Andrew McCutchen one-out, solo Home Run (3) to right center. Garrett Jones due up.
Pirates 5, Brewers 7 Top 5, 1 OutApr 30 9:53 PM
- Russell Martin one-out, solo Home Run (6) to center. Andrew McCutchen due up.
Pirates 4, Brewers 7 Top 5, 1 OutApr 30 9:51 PM
- Rickie Weeks single to center scored Ryan Braun and Jonathan Lucroy with one out. Runner on first and Carlos Gomez due up.
Pirates 3, Brewers 7 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 30 9:39 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy double to left scored Jean Segura with one out. On the play, Ryan Braun advances to third. Runners on second and third and Rickie Weeks due up.
Pirates 3, Brewers 5 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 30 9:35 PM
- Carlos Gomez double to left scored Rickie Weeks with one out. Runner on second and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Pirates 3, Brewers 4 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 30 9:15 PM
- Gaby Sanchez two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored Garrett Jones. Pedro Alvarez due up.
Pirates 3, Brewers 3 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 30 9:08 PM
- Marco Estrada singled to right. On the play, Martin Maldonado advances to home on Garrett Jones's fielding error with one out. Runner on first and Norichika Aoki due up.
Pirates 1, Brewers 3 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 30 8:55 PM
- Martin Maldonado double to left scored Rickie Weeks and Carlos Gomez with one out. Runner on second and Marco Estrada due up.
Pirates 1, Brewers 2 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 30 8:54 PM
- Andrew McCutchen single to center scored Starling Marte with none out. On the play, Russell Martin advances to second. Runners on first and second and Garrett Jones due up.
Pirates 1, Brewers 0 Top 1, 0 OutsApr 30 8:14 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 30 8:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21