Giants rally in ninth, edge DiamondbacksMay 1, 2013 - 5:58 AM
Angel Pagan singled to lead off the inning and stole second base. With J.J. Putz (2-1) pitching with one out, Sandoval knocked the ball deep over the right field wall to put the Giants on top. Putz absorbed the loss and dealt with his fourth blown save of the season.
"Felt pretty good when it came off my bat," said Sandoval. "I'm happy to support my teammates, to win the game."
Madison Bumgarner pitched seven shutout innings, allowing just three hits and a walk, but earned a no-decision. Sandy Rosario (1-0) got the final out in the eighth, earning his first career major league win. Sergio Romo pitched a flawless ninth to notch his 10th save of the season.
Josh Wilson hit a solo homer in the eighth while starter Trevor Cahill allowed one run on four hits and a walk over eight-plus innings.
"It was real heartbreaking," said Wilson. "Any loss is upsetting, disappointing. When you lose in the ninth, it certainly stings a little bit."
Neither team had much offensive success in the game though both teams had an opportunity to score in the fourth. Marco Scutaro and Sandoval hit back-to- back singles, then advanced on a fielder's choice, but Gregor Blanco struck out with two outs. Martin Prado singled to lead off the bottom of the inning for the Diamondbacks and reached third on a Miguel Montero single with two outs, but Alfredo Marte lined out to right to end the frame.
Wilson's shot started the eighth. Santiago Casilla came in to relieve Bumgarner. On a 1-2 count, Wilson hit three foul balls before inevitably hitting the home run to give the Diamondbacks the lead. It was his first homer since June 5, 2011, when he was playing for the Brewers.
Romo came in for the ninth for the Giants. He struck out Paul Goldschmidt, got Cody Ross to pop out and retired Montero on a grounder to second to end the game.
Bumgarner threw 102 pitches while Cahill threw 88 ... Buster Posey was 0-for-3 with a walk and two strikeouts, snapping a 10-game hitting streak ... Romo has a 26-game scoreless streak against Arizona, tossing 19 innings during a span that dates back to Sept. 6, 2010 ... The Diamondbacks have not committed an error in 23 of 27 games this season, including 17 of their last 19.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 2
May 1 12:17 AM
- Pablo Sandoval one-out, two-run Home Run (4) to center scored Angel Pagan. Buster Posey due up.
Giants 2, Diamondbacks 1 Top 9, 1 OutMay 1 12:01 AM
- Josh Wilson lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Cliff Pennington due up.
Giants 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 30 11:37 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 30 9:40 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21