Padres rally in eighth, split series with CubsMay 3, 2013 - 3:36 AM
Padres starter Eric Stults surrendered two runs on seven hits and two walks over 6 2/3 innings, while Joe Thatcher (2-0) picked up the final out in the seventh to pick up the win for the Padres, who earned a series split.
Travis Wood (2-2) allowed three runs on four hits and a walk in 7 2/3 frames for Chicago, which has alternated wins and losses over its last six tilts.
Scott Hairston smacked a two-run homer in defeat.
The Cubs plated two in the home seventh, but the Padres countered and pushed across four two-out runs in the top half. Jesus Guzman singled and Kyle Blanks walked to begin the inning. Jedd Gyorko flied out to left and Julio Borbon, who came in as a defensive replacement for Hairston in right, made a fine catch on Nick Hundley's pop up against the brick wall out in right field in foul territory.
Borbon, though, wasn't able to come up with pinch-hitter Yonder Alonso's soft liner into right. Borbon charged and attempted to come up with a basket catch, but the ball deflected off his glove and fell harmlessly onto the grass to bring home Guzman.
Shawn Camp replaced Wood on the bump and a passed ball allowed Blanks to score and tie the contest. After Chris Denorfia walked, James Russell took over on the mound. Everth Cabrera's grounder back through the middle plated Alonso before Denorfia scored on Chase Headley's infield base hit to vault San Diego to a 4-2 edge.
Luke Gregerson spun a scoreless eighth and Huston Street worked around a two- out double to notch his sixth save of the year.
"You never give up in this game. ... You keep battling and playing hard," Stults said.
Hairston popped out to Gyorko at second base with runners on second and third with one out in the second, but came through in the home seventh.
"Those things come back to haunt you," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said of the missed opportunity.
After Welington Castillo led off the frame with a base hit up the middle, Hairston stepped up and ripped a liner that just crept over the fence and into the first row of seats in left-center to make it 2-0.
Castillo tallied two hits ... The Padres were 3-for-8 with runners in scoring position and left six men on base, while Chicago went 0-for-7 with RISP and stranded nine.
- SAN DIEGO: 4
May 2 5:11 PM
- Chase Headley infield single to second scored Chris Denorfia with two out. On the play, Everth Cabrera advances to third. Runners on first and third with Carlos Quentin due up.
Padres 4, Cubs 2 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 2 4:35 PM
- Everth Cabrera singled to center scoring Yonder Alonso with two out. On the play, Chris Denorfia advances to third. Runners on first and third with Chase Headley due up.
Padres 3, Cubs 2 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 2 4:32 PM
- Wellington Castillo passed ball scored Kyle Blanks with two out. Runner on second and Chris Denorfia at the plate.
Padres 2, Cubs 2 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 2 4:27 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Yonder Alonso singled to right scoring Jesus Guzman with two out. On the play, Kyle Blanks advances to third. Runners on first and third with Chris Denorfia due up.
Padres 1, Cubs 2 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 2 4:24 PM
- Scott Hairston none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Welington Castillo. Darwin Barney due up.
Padres 0, Cubs 2 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 2 3:55 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 2 2:20 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22