Cardinals cruise past BrewersMay 4, 2013 - 6:01 AM
Jon Jay went 2-for-3 with two RBI and Yadier Molina added a pair of hits and a run scored for the Cardinals, winners in four straight.
Shelby Miller (4-2) allowed one run on seven hits over six frames to earn the win.
"He controlled the counts and made them put the ball in play for our defense. He was very effective and made some nice adjustments since the first time he faced them," said Cardinals manager Mike Matheny.
Jonathan Lucroy had an RBI and Ryan Braun had two hits and scored a run for the Brewers, losers in three straight. Third baseman Aramis Ramirez returned to the lineup following a month-long absence because of a knee injury. He went 2-for-3.
"I did more than I expected. I felt good on the bases. I am glad with the way I did play, and the way my knee held up tonight. I hope things just keep getting better," Ramirez said.
Kyle Lohse (1-3) was tagged for four runs on 11 hits over five innings to absorb the loss.
Holliday gave St. Louis a 2-0 edge with his homer in the third inning. Matt Carpenter doubled then scored when Holliday crushed a 3-2 sinker off the scoreboard over the center field.
The Cardinals added two more in the fifth as Jay roped a double to left field to score Holliday and Molina.
Milwaukee finally got on the board in the sixth inning. Braun singled to right then moved to second on a Ramirez base hit. After Rickie Weeks walked to load the bases, Lucroy lifted a sacrifice fly to center score Braun.
In the seventh, Beltran smacked a leadoff homer to right center, and Holliday scored on a passed ball later in the frame.
The Cardinals have 27 hits in their last two games ... Earlier on Friday, St. Louis learned that closer Jason Motte will reportedly undergo season-ending Tommy John surgery ... Milwaukee has dropped three straight games at home.
- ST. LOUIS: 6
May 3 11:12 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy passed ball scored Matt Holliday. Allen Craig advances to second on the passed ball. Runner on second with one out and David Freese at the plate.
Cardinals 6, Brewers 1 Top 7, 1 OutMay 3 10:34 PM
- Carlos Beltran lead-off Home Run (8) to right. Matt Holliday due up.
Cardinals 5, Brewers 1 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 3 10:24 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy sacrifice fly to center scored Ryan Braun. On the play, Alex Gonzalez advances to third. Runners on first and third with two out and Carlos Gomez due up.
Cardinals 4, Brewers 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 3 10:19 PM
- Jon Jay double to left scored Matt Holliday and Yadier Molina. On the play, Jon Jay thrown out at third to end the inning.
Cardinals 4, Brewers 0 Mid 5May 3 9:50 PM
- Matt Holliday two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to center scored Matt Carpenter. Allen Craig due up.
Cardinals 2, Brewers 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 3 8:57 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 3 8:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21