Rays outlast Rockies in extra inningsMay 4, 2013 - 6:19 AM
Ben Zobrist doubled down the left field line to lead off the extra frame, bringing up Longoria, who lofted the decisive single to center.
Kelly Johnson also homered in the tenth off Matt Belisle (1-2), Zobrist doubled twice and Jose Lobaton went 3-for-5 with two runs scored as Tampa Bay snapped a two-game skid.
Six Rays relievers combined to strike out nine while holding the Rockies scoreless in the final five innings. Kyle Farnsworth (1-0) picked up his first win of the year while Fernando Rodney earned his fourth save. Matt Moore started and was lifted after allowing four runs on seven hits in five innings.
"Early on the hitting wasn't there and then the pitching started struggling a little bit. We're just not together and in sync yet, but that is the type of game I expect this team to win late, and on the road," Rays manager Joe Maddon said.
Michael Cuddyer and Josh Rutledge each hit homers for Colorado in the first and second innings, respectively, while Nolan Arenado went 3-for-5 with two doubles and an RBI.
Trailing 3-0 after two innings, Tampa got two back in the top of the third. Lobaton led off with a single and after consecutive groundouts, Ryan Roberts and Zobrist cranked back-to-back RBI doubles.
Desmond Jennings put the Rays ahead, 4-3, in the top of the fifth with his fourth long ball of the season, a two-run job off Rockies starter Jeff Francis, who allowed four runs in five innings of work.
Colorado tied things at 4-4 in the bottom of the fifth. After Cuddyer led off with a walk and advanced to second on Wilin Rosario's groundout, Arenado ripped an RBI double to deep center field.
The Rockies threatened again in the bottom of the eighth off Rays reliever Jake McGee. McGee struck out Arenado but surrendered singles to Rutledge and Jonathan Herrera and intentionally walked pinch-hitter Troy Tulowitzki before giving way to Brandon Gomes, who struck out Jordan Pacheco to end the threat.
"We had a few opportunities to win that game, but we didn't get the hit or even a productive out. We couldn't get it tonight," Rockies manager Walt Weiss said.
Tulowitzki did not start with what the Rockies are calling "heavy legs." He is expected back in the lineup Saturday ... Dexter Fowler extended his hitting streak to major league best 11 games before exiting with a hip injury in the fifth inning ... Colorado hit 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position.
- TAMPA BAY: 7
May 4 12:15 AM
- Kelly Johnson one-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right center scored Evan Longoria. Yunel Escobar due up.
Rays 7, Rockies 4 Top 10, 1 OutMay 3 11:57 PM
- Evan Longoria single to center scored Ben Zobrist with none out. Runner on first and Matt Joyce due up.
Rays 5, Rockies 4 Top 10, 0 OutsMay 3 11:53 PM
- Nolan Arenado double to left center scored Wilin Rosario with one out. Runner on second and Josh Rutledge due up.
Rays 4, Rockies 4 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 3 10:23 PM
- Desmond Jennings one-out, two-run Home Run (4) to center scored Jose Lobaton. Ryan Roberts due up.
Rays 4, Rockies 3 Top 5, 1 OutMay 3 10:08 PM
- Ben Zobrist double to left center scored Ryan Roberts with two outs. Runner on second and Evan Longoria due up.
Rays 2, Rockies 3 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 3 9:24 PM
- Ryan Roberts double to right center scored Jose Lobaton with two outs. Runner on second and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 1, Rockies 3 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 3 9:23 PM
- Josh Rutledge lead-off Home Run (4) to right. Jonathan Herrera due up.
Rays 0, Rockies 3 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 3 9:09 PM
- Michael Cuddyer two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to center scored Jordan Pacheco. Wilin Rosario due up.
Rays 0, Rockies 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 3 8:54 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 3 8:41 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21