Soriano goes yard twice but Cubs fall to RedsMay 5, 2013 - 12:13 AM
Shin-Soo Choo hit a solo homer for the Reds, who have won the first two games of this set to record their first road series victory of the year. Zack Cozart, Jay Bruce, Todd Frazier, Jack Hannahan and Devin Mesoraco added an RBI apiece.
Cincinnati starter Tony Cingrani gave up four runs on three hits while striking out five over six innings for Cincinnati, which has won eight straight at Wrigley Field. Logan Ondrusek (2-0) tossed a scoreless seventh to pick up the win.
Alfonso Soriano hit a pair of two-run homers for the Cubs, who have dropped three in a row.
Jeff Samardzija allowed two runs -- one earned -- on four hits over while striking out five over six innings. Carlos Marmol (2-2) was charged with three runs while failing to record an out in the eighth.
"The definition of a good lineup is that they make you throw a lot of pitches. They're grind you down, foul balls off, especially your out pitches," Samardzija said.
Holding a 4-2 lead, the Cubs brought in Marmol to start the eighth. Cozart and Joey Votto walked before Brandon Phillips was hit by a pitch to load the bases with no outs. Hector Rondon then took over for Marmol.
Bruce greeted Rondon with an RBI single to left-center field and Frazier followed with a sacrifice fly to tie the game. Xavier Paul was intentionally walked to fill the bags again. Pinch-hitter Hannahan worked a walk to force in the go-ahead run and Mesoraco's pinch-hit sac fly made it a 6-4 game.
"We manufactured runs (in the eighth)," Cozart said.
Jonathan Broxton and Aroldis Chapman each tossed a scoreless inning of relief to secure the victory. Chapman picked up his seventh save of the season.
Choo hit the first pitch of the game over the wall in left.
Soriano responded with a homer of his own in the bottom half of the first. With two outs, Anthony Rizzo was hit by a pitch and Soriano then cleared the wall in left to make it 2-1 Cubs.
Cincinnati scored a run in the third to tie the game. Choo walked, moved to second on Samardzija's throwing error and scored on Cozart's single to center.
Chicago took the lead back in the bottom half. Rizzo hit a two-out double and scored on Soriano's blast to left.
The Reds went 2-for-7 with runners in scoring position and stranded eight ... Votto had two of Cincinnati's six hits ... Marmol's appearance in the eighth was his 453rd relief appearance with the Cubs, snapping a tie with Lee Smith for the franchise record.
- CINCINNATI: 6
May 4 3:58 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Devin Mesoraco sacrifice fly to right scored Jay Bruce. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Reds 6, Cubs 4 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 4 3:29 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jack Hannahan's one-out, bases loaded walk scored Brandon Phillips. Bases loaded with one out and Logan Ondrusek due up.
Reds 5, Cubs 4 Top 8, 1 OutMay 4 3:27 PM
- Todd Frazier sacrifice fly to right scored Joey Votto. On the play, Jay Bruce advances to second and Brandon Phillips advances to third. Runners on second and third and with one out and Xavier Paul due up.
Reds 4, Cubs 4 Top 8, 1 OutMay 4 3:23 PM
- Jay Bruce singled to left scored Zack Cozart. On the play, Brandon Phillips advances to second and Joey Votto advances to third. Bases loaded with none out and Todd Frazier due up.
Reds 3, Cubs 4 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 4 3:21 PM
- Alfonso Soriano two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (3) to left scored Anthony Rizzo. Starlin Castro due up.
Reds 2, Cubs 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 4 2:05 PM
- Zack Cozart singled to center scored Shin-Soo Choo. Runner on first with none out and Joey Votto due up.
Reds 2, Cubs 2 Top 3, 0 OutsMay 4 1:53 PM
- Alfonso Soriano two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Anthony Rizzo. Starlin Castro due up.
Reds 1, Cubs 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 4 1:24 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo lead-off Home Run (5) to left. Zack Cozart due up.
Reds 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 0 OutsMay 4 1:07 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 4 1:06 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21