Rockies pound Price, down RaysMay 5, 2013 - 5:04 AM
Troy Tulowitzki was a perfect 3-for-3 and drove in three runs and Carlos Gonzalez smashed a solo shot for the Rockies, who even the series at 1-1. Starter Jon Garland (3-2) gave up three runs on seven hits and a walk over five frames in the victory.
"As long as we're healthy, as long as we have Tulowitzki and all of us in the lineup, we can score a lot of runs and make sure they get a win," said Gonzalez.
Kelly Johnson had two RBI and James Loney drove in one run for the Rays.
Yunel Escobar was taken out in the second inning, after taking a pitch by Garland to the left wrist. He was replaced by Ryan Roberts, who manned second base, and Ben Zobrist moved from second to short.
"It was just one of those things," said Rays manager Joe Maddon. "We couldn't break through. Their relief pitchers were good tonight. We kind of had Garland on the ropes ... we actually did a good job versus him. We had good at-bats, I thought, while he was in the game."
Rays starter David Price (1-3) surrendered nine runs on 11 hits and three walks in 6 2/3 innings. Price was fined $1,000 by Major League Baseball on Thursday after tweeting about umpire Tom Hallion, who he accused of directing a profanity towards him during Sunday's 8-3 win against the White Sox.
Tulowitzki delivered an RBI single in the first, scoring Eric Young Jr, who singled to lead off the inning.
The Rays got on the board in the third. Zobrist grounded into a fielder's choice but reached first and reached third on an Evan Longoria single. Loney doubled to bring Zobrist home. Johnson then singled, plating Longoria and Loney to give his team a 3-1 lead.
Tulowitzki responded with a two-run double that scored Young and Gonzalez to tie the game at 3-3.
Gonzalez gave the Rockies the lead with a leadoff homer in the fifth.
The Rockies tacked on five more runs in the seventh. With one out and the bases loaded, Cuddyer hit towards Zobrist, but threw too far away for Loney to grab, allowing Gonzalez to reach home. After Wilson Rosario was walked, the bases were loaded again, setting up Arenado's shot.
Wilton Lopez came to pitch for the Rockies in the ninth. He allowed a one-out single by Sam Fuld and walked Luke Scott, but got Matt Joyce and Zobrist out to end the game.
Loney has 53 RBI in 54 games at Coors Field, most at any road ballpark ... Young was 3-for-5 with two runs scored ... Tulowitzki has 27 RBI, second in the National League behind only the Mets' John Buck.
- TAMPA BAY: 3
May 4 11:16 PM
- Nolan Arenado two-out, Grand Slam (2) to center scored Troy Tulowitzki, Michael Cuddyer and Wilin Rosario. Jordan Pacheco due up.
Rays 3, Rockies 9 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 4 10:48 PM
- Michael Cuddyer reached first on Ben Zobrist's throwing error scored Carlos Gonzalez with two out. On the play, Troy Tulowitzki advances to third. Runners on first and third and Wilin Rosario due up.
Rays 3, Rockies 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 4 10:44 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez lead-off Home Run (6) to center. Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rays 3, Rockies 4 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 4 9:59 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki double to right scored Eric Young and Carlos Gonzalez with one out. Runner on second and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Rays 3, Rockies 3 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 4 9:19 PM
- Kelly Johnson single to right scored Evan Longoria and James Loney with two out. Runner on first and Ryan Roberts due up.
Rays 3, Rockies 1 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 4 9:07 PM
- James Loney double to left scored Ben Zobrist with two out. On the play, Evan Longoria advances to third. Runners on second and third and Kelly Johnson due up.
Rays 1, Rockies 1 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 4 9:03 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki single to right scored Eric Young with one out. On the play, Josh Rutledge advances to third. Runners on first and third and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Rays 0, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 4 8:31 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 4 8:12 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21