Rays claim rubber match with RockiesMay 6, 2013 - 3:22 AM
Rays starter Alex Cobb (4-2) fanned six and gave up three runs -- all on solo homers -- on eight hits and a walk in 6 2/3 innings for Tampa Bay, which took two of the three games in the set.
"We're playing right on that cusp, that verge of getting over the top and playing like we're capable of playing," Rays manager Joe Maddon said.
Michael Cuddyer, Troy Tulowitzki and Nolan Arenado had the solo shots for the Rockies. Starting pitcher Jhoulys Chacin (3-1) made his return from the 15-day disabled list caused by a lower back sprain, and allowed six runs -- five earned -- on eight hits and three walks over seven frames.
"You're going to run into days like that unfortunately," Cuddyer said of his team going 0-for-9 with runners position. "We just couldn't up with the big hit."
The Rays scored three runs in the first inning. Desmond Jennings singled to start the game and Matt Joyce walked. Two batters later, James Loney singled to score Jennings, and Joyce reached home on a wild pitch by Chacin before Johnson hit a line-drive single to right center to bring Loney home.
Cuddyer's solo smash came in the second, and Tulowitzki knocked a solo homer two innings later to cut Tampa Bay's lead to 3-2.
In the sixth, Joyce drew a leadoff walk and Loney singled to bring him to third. Johnson followed with a single of his own, plating Joyce. Loney and Johnson both then advanced bases on a passed ball by Rockies catcher Wilin Rosario, setting up Roberts' two-run double that made the score 6-2.
Arenado homered with two outs in the seventh, but that was it for Colorado's offense.
Meanwhile, the Rays tacked on two more runs in the eighth. Evan Longoria walked to begin the inning and Loney had a single. Both would advance on another passed ball by Rosario before Lobaton singled to center to bring them home.
Jamey Wright came on in the ninth for the Rays and struck out the side to end the game.
Loney was 3-for-4 with three runs scored... Todd Helton also returned from the 15-day disabled list, caused by inflammation in his left forearm, for Colorado. He was 1-for-4 ... Johnson was caught stealing for the third time this season, most among second basemen and tied for third overall in the majors.
- TAMPA BAY: 8
May 5 7:11 PM
- Jose Lobaton single to center scored Evan Longoria and James Loney with two out. Runner on first and Sean Rodriguez due up.
Rays 8, Rockies 3 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 5 6:42 PM
- Nolan Arenado two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Rays 6, Rockies 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 5 6:26 PM
- Ryan Roberts double to left scored James Loney and Kelly Johnson with one out. Runner on second and Jose Lobaton due up.
Rays 6, Rockies 2 Top 6, 1 OutMay 5 6:03 PM
- Kelly Johnson single to center scored Matt Joyce with one out. On the play, James Loney advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ryan Roberts due up.
Rays 4, Rockies 2 Top 6, 1 OutMay 5 5:56 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki lead-off Home Run (7) to left. Michael Cuddyer due up.
Rays 3, Rockies 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 5 5:21 PM
- Michael Cuddyer lead-off Home Run (7) to left. Todd Helton due up.
Rays 3, Rockies 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 5 4:48 PM
- Kelly Johnson single to right scored James Loney with one out. Runner on first and Ryan Roberts due up.
Rays 3, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 5 4:21 PM
- Matt Joyce scored on a wild pitch by Jhoulys Chacin with one out. James Loney advances to second on a wild pitch. Runner on second and Kelly Johnson at the plate.
Rays 2, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 5 4:17 PM
- James Loney single to left scored Desmond Jennings with one out. On the play, Matt Joyce advances to third. Runners on first and third and Kelly Johnson due up.
Rays 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 5 4:15 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 5 4:10 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21