Venable homers as Padres down MarlinsMay 8, 2013 - 6:58 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Will Venable knocked a two-run home run and had three RBI as the San Diego Padres defeated the Miami Marlins, 5-1, on Tuesday.
Yonder Alonso and Everth Cabrera had an RBI apiece for the Padres, who have won 10 of their last 13 games. Starter Eric Stults (3-2) gave up just one run on seven hits and two walks in 6 1/3 innings.
"This is a good sign of where the pitching is headed," Padres manager Bud Black said. "The consistency of the starting pitching is starting to build a little momentum."
Marcell Ozuna drove in the lone run for the NL-worst Marlins, who saw starter Alex Sanabia (2-5) last 4 1/3 innings before going down with tightness in his groin. He allowed four runs -- three earned -- on nine hits and two walks.
"I left pitches up in the zone," Sanabia admitted. "It was just one of those days. Obviously, if you leave the ball up, it's going to get hit."
Cabrera drew a walk to lead off the home half of the first. He advanced to third on a single by Chase Headley and a fielding error by Ozuna. Alonso hit a sacrifice fly, scoring Cabrera.
The Padres tacked on three more runs in the second. Jedd Gyorko singled to start the inning, setting up Venable's two-run blast. Alexi Amarista knocked a double to left-center field and Cabrera singled to bring him home two batters later.
Ozuna's RBI double came with two outs in the fourth, plating Matt Diaz, to cut the deficit 4-1, but that would be it for the Marlins' offense.
San Diego added an insurance run in the eighth. Alonso singled with one out, stole second and reached third when Miguel Olivo's throw was off the mark. Following a walk by Gyorko, Venable grounded into a fielder's choice but was able to bring Alonso home.
Anthony Bass pitched a 1-2-3 ninth for the Padres to end the game.
Headley was 2-for-4. He is on a 12-game hitting streak ... The Padres have hit a home run in five straight games ... San Diego has won nine of their last 10 home games.
- MIAMI: 1
SAN DIEGO: 5
May 8 12:50 AM
- Will Venable grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Yonder Alonso, Jedd Gyorko out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Nick Hundley due up.
Marlins 1, Padres 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 8 12:42 AM
- Marcell Ozuna doubled to right scored Matt Diaz. Runner on second with two outs and Greg Dobbs due up.
Marlins 1, Padres 4 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 7 11:13 PM
- Everth Cabrera singled to right scored Alexi Amarista. Runner on second with two outs and Chris Denorfia due up.
Marlins 0, Padres 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 7 10:46 PM
- Will Venable none-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored Jedd Gyorko. Nick Hundley due up.
Marlins 0, Padres 3 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 7 10:41 PM
- Yonder Alonso sacrifice fly to left scored Everth Cabrera. On the play, Chase Headley was thrown out trying to advance to second to end the inning.
Marlins 0, Padres 1 End 1May 7 10:30 PM
- MIAMI: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 7 10:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22