Schierholtz powers Cubs past CardinalsMay 8, 2013 - 5:49 AM
Alfonso Soriano had two hits and scored a run for the Cubs, who have won two straight games.
Travis Wood (3-2) allowed just one run -- a solo homer -- on five hits while striking out eight over 6 2/3 innings. Kevin Gregg worked a perfect ninth to pick up his fifth save.
"He's been one of the best starters in baseball so far, he's got it figured out," Cubs manager Dave Sveum said of Wood. "He's been able to pitch to both side of the plate. He can do pretty much whatever he wants with ball right now."
Allen Craig smacked his second homer of the season for the Cardinals' lone run. Lance Lynn (5-1) was saddled with his first loss of the season after giving up two runs on four hits while striking out eight over seven frames.
Schierholtz put the Cubs in front with his two-run shot in the fourth. Soriano reached on a two-out single to right field and Schierholtz followed with his fourth homer of the season to put Chicago up 2-1.
St. Louis had two runners on in the eighth inning. Yadier Molina singled then stole second base. Jon Jay then worked a walk, but Molina was caught trying to steal third with two outs to end the threat.
"We had guys in scoring position. We've been talking about how those situations that haven't been that frequent. Tonight it didn't happen. Sometimes you have those kind of nights," said Cardinals manager Mike Matheny.
Starlin Castro ripped a two-out double in the home half and Anthony Rizzo followed with a towering fly ball to center, but it was caught against the wall to end the inning.
Craig cracked a leadoff homer in the second to give the Cardinals an early 1-0 lead.
The Cubs have hit 40 home runs as a team this season ... Chicago owns a 1,173-1,114 edge in the all-time series (since 1892) ... Lynn's last regular- season loss was Sept. 7 2012 against the Brewers.
- ST. LOUIS: 1
May 7 10:45 PM
- Nate Schierholtz two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to center scored Alfonso Soriano. Luis Valbuena due up.
Cardinals 1, Cubs 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 7 9:18 PM
- Allen Craig lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 1, Cubs 0 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 7 8:25 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 7 8:07 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21