Bruce helps Reds best BrewersMay 12, 2013 - 2:03 AM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Jay Bruce ripped two doubles and his third home run of the season as the Cincinnati Reds used a seven-run third inning to get past the Milwaukee Brewers, 13-7, at Great American Ball Park.
Already leading 5-4, the Reds tallied five doubles and seven hits overall in the decisive third inning. Bruce, Todd Frazier and Devin Mesoraco all doubled around a Xavier Paul walk with no outs, plating the first two runs. Starting pitcher Mat Latos then helped himself with an RBI single up the middle. Shin- Soo Choo followed with a double to score Mesoraco and Zach Cosart brought Latos home with a sacrifice fly to center for the first out of the inning.
Joey Votto kept the rally going with an RBI single to right and following Brandon Phillips' pop up to right, Bruce doubled again to cap the scoring barrage.
Frazier, Paul and Mesoraco all had two hits apiece and combined for seven runs scored for Cincinnati, which won its major league best 15th home game.
Latos (4-0) labored through six innings, allowing seven runs -- six earned -- on nine hits and three walks but took the win and helped himself at the dish, going 2-for-3 with two RBI and two runs scored. Latos has won eight straight decisions going back to last season.
"I gave up six runs today, actually seven," said Latos. "I could care less how many hits I had."
His counterpart Hiram Burgos (1-1) struggled through three innings in the fourth start of his major league career. Burgos was smacked around for 12 runs -- 10 earned -- on 11 hits before giving way to the Brewers' bullpen.
"It was the worst outing of my career," claimed Burgos.
Jean Segura went 4-for-5 with a homer, three runs scored and a steal while Ryan Braun extended his hitting streak to 12 games with his seventh double of the year. Norichika Aoki also went deep for the Brewers, losers in eight of nine.
Segura went opposite field for his sixth home run of the season and second in as many games to put Milwaukee on the board first. Braun then walked and Aramis Ramirez' pop up to left carried all the way to the wall thanks to a fierce wind and deflected away from left fielder Xavier Paul. Braun scored without a throw while Ramirez ended up with a standing double.
Bruce got Cincinnati going with a no-doubter to lead off the second inning, the first of five runs the Reds would muster in the frame. The next batter was Frazier, who laid down a perfect bunt and reached without a throw. Paul then popped up to Braun, who lost track of the ball at the last moment and was unable to make what should have been a routine catch. Mesoraco walked on four straight balls to bring up Latos, who delivered an RBI single to left.
Choo then drew a bases-loaded walk and with no outs in the inning, the Reds had already taken a 3-2 lead. Cozart then offered a sac fly to Braun in left, who missed the cut-off man and allowed both runners to advance. Votto grounded out but thanks to the Braun mistake, Latos scored easily.
"Not all of it was just them ripping the ball," said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke.
Braun and Ramirez plated a run apiece with a double and single, respectively, to bring Milwaukee to within a run at 5-4 after two and a half, but the Reds struck right back with seven in the bottom half of the third.
Milwaukee got two back in the fifth on Carlos Gomez's two-run single to center. Both teams added a run in the sixth on Aoki's solo shot to right and a Mesoraco RBI single to left.
Latos is the first Reds pitcher in nine years to win eight straight decisions ... The Reds have won nine of their last 11 at home against Milwaukee ... Cincinnati hit 8-for-14 with runners in scoring position ... Burgos became the fourth pitcher in Brewers history to allow 12 runs in a start, most recently done by Randy Wolf in 2010.
- MILWAUKEE: 7
May 11 7:32 PM
- Devin Mesoraco singled to left scored Todd Frazier with one out. On the play, Xavier Paul advances to third. Runners on first and third and Mat Latos due up.
Brewers 7, Reds 13 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 11 6:37 PM
- Norichika Aoki two-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Jean Segura due up.
Brewers 7, Reds 12 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 11 6:24 PM
- Carlos Gomez singled to center scored Jean Segura and Alex Gonzalez with one out. On the play, Jonathan Lucroy advances to third. Runners on first and third and Rickie Weeks due up.
Brewers 6, Reds 12 Top 5, 1 OutMay 11 6:06 PM
- Jay Bruce doubled to center scored Joey Votto with two outs. Runner on second and Todd Frazier due up.
Brewers 4, Reds 12 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 11 5:38 PM
- Joey Votto singled to right, deflected by the pitcher, scored Shin-Soo Choo with one out. Runner on first and Brandon Phillips due up.
Brewers 4, Reds 11 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 11 5:35 PM
- Zack Cozart sacrifice fly out to center scored Mat Latos with one out. On the play, Shin-Soo Choo advances to third on the throw. Runner on third and Joey Votto due up.
Brewers 4, Reds 10 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 11 5:33 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo doubled to right scored Devin Mesoraco with none out. On the play, Mat Latos advances to third. Runners on second and third and Zack Cozart due up.
Brewers 4, Reds 9 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 11 5:32 PM
- Mat Latos singled to center scored Xavier Paul with none out. On the play, Devin Mesoraco advances to third. Runners on first and third and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Brewers 4, Reds 8 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 11 5:30 PM
- Devin Mesoraco doubled to center scored Todd Frazier with none out. On the play, Xavier Paul advances to third. Runners on second and third and Mat Latos due up.
Brewers 4, Reds 7 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 11 5:27 PM
- Todd Frazier doubled to left scored Jay Bruce with none out. Runner on second and Xavier Paul due up.
Brewers 4, Reds 6 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 11 5:20 PM
- Aramis Ramirez singled to left scored Ryan Braun with one out. Runner on first and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Brewers 4, Reds 5 Top 3, 1 OutMay 11 5:11 PM
- Ryan Braun doubled to left scored Jean Segura with one out. Runner on second and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Brewers 3, Reds 5 Top 3, 1 OutMay 11 5:08 PM
- Joey Votto grounded out second to first scored Mat Latos with two outs. On the play, Shin-Soo Choo advances to third. Runner on third and Brandon Phillips due up.
Brewers 2, Reds 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 11 5:04 PM
- Zack Cozart sacrifice fly out to left scored Devin Mesoraco with one out. On the play, Shin-Soo Choo advances to second and Mat Latos advances to third. Runners on second and third and Joey Votto due up.
Brewers 2, Reds 4 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 11 5:03 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo walked. Xavier Paul scored on the play with none out. Bases loaded and Zack Cozart due up.
Brewers 2, Reds 3 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 11 4:58 PM
- Mat Latos singled to left scored Todd Frazier with none out. On the play, Devin Mesoraco advances to second and Xavier Paul advances to third. Bases loaded and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Brewers 2, Reds 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 11 4:55 PM
- Jay Bruce lead-off Home Run (3) to right center. Todd Frazier due up.
Brewers 2, Reds 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 11 4:46 PM
- Aramis Ramirez doubled to left scoring Ryan Braun. Runner on second with one out and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Brewers 2, Reds 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 11 4:21 PM
- Jean Segura one-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. Ryan Braun is due up.
Brewers 1, Reds 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 11 4:16 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 11 4:13 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21