Ninth-inning error lifts Cubs past NationalsMay 12, 2013 - 11:55 PM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Alfonso Soriano scored on a throwing error by Kurt Suzuki in the ninth inning as the Chicago Cubs edged the Washington Nationals, 2-1, in the finale of a three-game set.
Soriano and Julio Borbon hit back-to-back singles off Rafael Soriano (0-1) to start the inning. With one out, they attempted a double steal and Suzuki made an errant throw, allowing Soriano to reach home.
Starlin Castro drove in one run for the Cubs, who took the final two games of the series. Starter Scott Feldman had six strikeouts and allowed one run on five hits and three walks in six innings.
"It was just a battle and we were able to get a couple runs there at the end and come away with a series win," said Feldman. "It's huge. It's a good team win and hopefully we'll get some momentum rolling back home."
James Russell (1-0) threw a scoreless bottom of the eighth to pick up the win and Kevin Gregg was flawless in the ninth to notch his sixth save.
Nationals starter Gio Gonzalez had a perfect game through five innings before giving up a leadoff single to Dioner Navarro in the sixth. Gonzalez allowed just two hits and a walk while striking out six over seven frames.
Ryan Zimmerman went 2-for-4 and drove in the lone Washington run in the setback.
"Anytime you lose a ballgame, especially after you lead late and lose a ballgame, it's a missed opportunity, no doubt about it," said Nationals manager Davey Johnson.
Washington scored in the first. Zimmerman smacked a one-out double to right, scoring Denard Span, who doubled to begin the frame.
Neither team had much success from there until the eighth, when Navarro hit a leadoff single. Travis Wood came in to pinch-run and later scored on a single by Castro.
Gregg struck out two in a 1-2-3 inning to end the game. Suzuki was ejected after arguing over a called third strike.
Washington went 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base ... The Cubs have seen 34 of their 37 games decided by four runs or less.
- CHICAGO: 2
May 12 4:28 PM
- Alfonso Soriano stole thid. Julio Borbon stole second. On the play, Alfonso Soriano scored on Kurt Suzuki's throwing error with one out. Julio Borbon advances to third. Runner on third and Ryan Sweeney at the plate.
Cubs 2, Nationals 1 Top 9, 1 OutMay 12 4:21 PM
- Starlin Castro single to center scored Travis Wood with two out. Runner on first and Cody Ransom due up.
Cubs 1, Nationals 1 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 12 3:50 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman double to right scored Denard Span with one out. On the play, Bryce Harper advances to third. Runners on second and third with Adam LaRoche due up.
Cubs 0, Nationals 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 12 1:50 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 12 1:37 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21