Nationals take out DodgersMay 14, 2013 - 7:38 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Ryan Zimmerman drove in three runs and Jordan Zimmermann was good enough to win his fourth straight decision in Washington's 6-2 victory over the Dodgers in the opener of a three-game set.
Adam LaRoche knocked in a pair to help the Nats snap a two-game skid and kick off a 10-game road trip on the right foot.
Zimmermann (7-1) gave up nine hits but allowed just two runs over 7 2/3 frames. The righty has surrendered just three runs over his last 31 2/3 innings pitched.
Bryce Harper had a hit, walked twice and scored two runs before leaving the contest in the fifth inning after colliding face first with the right field scoreboard. After the game, the team announced he did not sustain a concussion, but did require 11 stitches to repair a throat laceration.
"He's going to be alright. His knee was bruised and he had the cut on his neck, but he had no concussion. He should be alright," Nationals manager Davey Johnson said.
The Dodgers, back to their losing ways after a brief two-game win streak, got only three innings of work out of Josh Beckett (0-5), who remains winless in eight starts. He was tagged for four runs -- two earned -- on three hits.
"He's had some little things going on. We just need to make sure that he is alright. We'll find out over night and find out over night what's going on with him," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said of Beckett's health.
Matt Kemp and Skip Schumaker each drove in a run for LA, which has dropped nine of its last 11 games.
The Nationals struck in the first when Span led off with a single and Harper pushed him to third with a base hit. Zimmerman then put the Nats ahead 1-0 on his ground ball to second.
Washington put three more runs on the board in the third after loading the bases. Zimmerman's double off the wall in right plated a pair and a groundout from LaRoche pushed another run home, giving the Nationals a 4-0 edge.
The Nationals took a six-run lead before leaving the bases loaded in the fifth. A throwing error by reliever Jay Guerra allowed Steve Lombardozzi to score from second and LaRoche grounded a ball through the right side to bring home Washington's sixth run.
It wasn't all positive for the Nationals, however, as Harper went crashing into the wall head first in the bottom half of the frame on A.J. Ellis' shot into right.
Harper collided with the scoreboard and laid motionless on the warning track as Ellis' hit went for a triple. Trainers immediately went to his aid and after several moments, Harper got up and left the field under his own power.
When play resumed, Schumaker sent a ground ball to second to plate the Dodgers' first run and they scored one more in the eighth on Kemp's two-out RBI single, which chased Zimmermann from the contest.
Los Angles went just 1-for-11 with runners in scoring position and were forced to use four relievers after Beckett was only able to go three innings.
Los Angeles' Adrian Gonzalez returned to the lineup after missing Sunday's contest with a neck issue. He went 2-for-4 ... The Nationals went 3-for-13 with RISP and left 11 men on base.
- WASHINGTON: 6
LOS ANGELES: 2
May 14 1:25 AM
- Matt Kemp single to left scored Dee Gordon with two out. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Andre Ethier due up.
Nationals 6, Dodgers 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 14 1:00 AM
- Skip Schumaker groundout to second scored A.J. Ellis with one out. None on with one out and Nick Punto due up.
Nationals 6, Dodgers 1 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 13 11:57 PM
- Adam LaRoche single to right scored Bryce Harper with one out. On the play, Ryan Zimmerman advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Ian Desmond due up.
Nationals 6, Dodgers 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 13 11:42 PM
- Javy Guerra throwing error scored Steve Lombardozzi with one out. On the play, Bryce Harper advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Adam LaRoche due up.
Nationals 5, Dodgers 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 13 11:41 PM
- Adam LaRoche groundout to first scored Bryce Harper with two out. On the play, Ryan Zimmerman advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Ian Desmond due up.
Nationals 4, Dodgers 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 13 11:03 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman double to right scored Jordan Zimmermann and Steve Lombardozzi with one out. On the play, Bryce Harper advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Adam LaRoche due up.
Nationals 3, Dodgers 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 13 10:58 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman groundout to second scored Denard Span with two out. On the play, Bryce Harper advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Adam LaRoche due up.
Nationals 1, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 13 10:23 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 13 10:11 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22