Snider leads Pirates past BrewersMay 17, 2013 - 4:05 AM Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - Travis Snider had a two-run homer among his three hits and the Pittsburgh Pirates downed the Milwaukee Brewers, 7-1, to take the last three of a four-game set from PNC Park.
Snider drove in three and the first of a four-run sixth inning to break the contest open. Andrew McCutchen, Garrett Jones, Neil Walker and Clint Barmes each contributed an RBI to help the Pirates to their sixth win in seven games.
"It was good to see us continue to score, get the game to a comfortable place, its was a good finish for us," said Pittsburgh manager Clint Hurdle.
Pittsburgh received a second straight strong outing from Francisco Liriano (2-0), who fired 5 2/3 innings of one-run ball. He struck out seven and allowed six hits and three walks.
The struggling Brewers were held to just six hits to take their 12th loss in 14 games. Milwaukee was held to only one run in six of those defeats.
"When you're not scoring runs, it's hard to get motivated," said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke. "We need to grind out some runs."
Hiram Burgos (1-2) was charged with three runs on eight hits over five innings of work to absorb the loss.
Liriano's toughest inning came in the first, but McCutchen helped cushion the blow when he made a spectacular catch against the wall in center to rob an extra base hit and record the second out.
Jean Segura had reached with a single and after stealing second, Liriano served up an RBI single to Lucroy. However, the Pittsburgh lefty didn't allow another run the rest of his start.
The Pirates drew even in the fourth when Pedro Alvarez drew a one-out walk, stole second and came around to score on Barmes' double into left.
After the Brewers stranded runners at the corners in the fifth, the Pirates struck in the bottom half to take the lead. Starling Marte led off the frame with a single and Snider crushed a two-run shot past the seats in right center for a 3-1 Pirates lead.
Pittsburgh then broke the game open an inning later off reliever Alfredo Figaro.
Barmes reached to start the inning on Segura's throwing error and a double from Marte put runners at second and third. Snider, McCutchen, Jones and Walker then each knocked in a run in succession with singles to open up a 7-1 lead.
The Brewers had just one baserunner the rest of the way.
Segura stole his 14th base of the season and added two hits ... It was Snider's first home run of the year ... Pittsburgh had 13 hits and were 5- for-12 with runners in scoring position.
- MILWAUKEE: 1
May 16 10:18 PM
- Neil Walker single to right scored Andrew McCutchen with one out. On the play, Garrett Jones advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Russell Martin due up.
Brewers 1, Pirates 7 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 16 9:31 PM
- Garrett Jones single to center scored Travis Snider with one out. On the play, Andrew McCutchen advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Neil Walker due up.
Brewers 1, Pirates 6 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 16 9:28 PM
- Andrew McCutchen single to center scored Starling Marte with one out. On the play, Travis Snider advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Garrett Jones due up.
Brewers 1, Pirates 5 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 16 9:27 PM
- Travis Snider single to center scored Clint Barmes with one out. On the play, Starling Marte advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Andrew McCutchen due up.
Brewers 1, Pirates 4 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 16 9:25 PM
- Travis Snider none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to center scored Starling Marte. Andrew McCutchen due up.
Brewers 1, Pirates 3 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 16 8:47 PM
- Clint Barmes double to left scored Pedro Alvarez with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Francisco Liriano due up.
Brewers 1, Pirates 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 16 8:26 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy single to center scored Jean Segura with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Carlos Gomez due up.
Brewers 1, Pirates 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 16 7:14 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 16 7:08 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21