Reds nip Marlins in extrasMay 17, 2013 - 6:01 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Brandon Phillips drove in the go-ahead run as part of a three-run rally in the 10th inning and the Cincinnati Reds swept the Miami Marlins with a 5-3 win on Thursday.
With one out and the bases loaded, Phillips hit a sacrifice fly off Steve Cishek (1-4) to left, allowing Daniel Lutz to reach home. Jay Bruce followed with a double, scoring Shin-Soo Choo and Joey Votto.
J.J. Hoover gave up a run in the home half, but was able to notch his third save.
Reds starter Mat Latos, who was looking to win his fifth consecutive start, allowed two runs on four hits and a walk in 8 1/3 innings. However, Aroldis Chapman (3-1) allowed the Marlins to tie the game when he gave up an RBI triple to Marcell Ozuna in the ninth inning.
The Reds have won six straight and 10 of their last 12 games. The victory was also manager Dusty Baker's 444th with the Reds, passing Hall of Famer Fred Hutchinson for fourth in franchise history.
Juan Pierre homered for the first time since June 23, 2012, while Matt Diaz drove in one run for the Marlins, who have lost five straight. Starter Jose Fernandez allowed two runs on five hits and three walks in a seven-inning no- decision.
Pierre's home run started the first to give the Marlins an early 1-0 lead.
Bruce tied the game for the Reds in the fourth with a two-out single that scored Votto. Two innings later, Phillips smashed a solo shot to take the lead.
In the ninth, Latos allowed a one-out triple to Adeiny Hechavarria and was replaced by Chapman. He struck out pinch-hitter Placido Polanco, but Ozuna's triple sent the game into extra innings.
"I really wanted to finish it, but it seems like there is always something down here in Florida that happens and I can't finish," Latos said. "It is what it is. We got the 'W' and that's all that matters."
Cishek pitched for the Marlins in the 10th. Lutz, who pinch-hit for Chapman, singled to lead off and Choo drew a walk. Zack Cozart bunted to advance the runners and Votto was intentionally walked, setting up the Reds' surge.
Hoover got two quick outs in the bottom of the inning, but walked Nick Green, who advanced to second on a fielder's indifference and later scored on a single by Diaz. However, he got Pierre to ground out to end the game.
"I'm happy with the way we battled and continued to compete and grind it out," Marlins manager Mike Redmond said. "We tried everything. We used almost all our guys. We bunted. We tried everything to score some runs and still came up short."
Phillips has 36 RBI, which leads the National League ... The Reds have won six of seven games against the Marlins this season ... Since an eight-game road losing streak from April 9-27, Cincinnati has won eight of 10 road games.
- CINCINNATI: 5
May 16 10:09 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Matt Diaz single to center scored Nick Green. Runner on first with two outs and Juan Pierre due up.
Reds 5, Marlins 3 Bot 10, 2 OutsMay 16 10:07 PM
- Jay Bruce double to right scored Shin-Soo Choo and Joey Votto. Runner on second with two outs and Todd Frazier due up.
Reds 5, Marlins 2 Top 10, 2 OutsMay 16 9:48 PM
- Brandon Phillips sacrifice fly out to left scored Donald Lutz. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 3, Marlins 2 Top 10, 2 OutsMay 16 9:45 PM
- Marcell Ozuna triple to center scored Adeiny Hechavarria. Runner on third with two outs and Chris Coghlan due up.
Reds 2, Marlins 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 16 9:31 PM
- Brandon Phillips two-out, solo Home Run (7) to left. Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 2, Marlins 1 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 16 8:29 PM
- Jay Bruce single to left scored Joey Votto. Runner on first with two outs and Todd Frazier due up.
Reds 1, Marlins 1 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 16 7:59 PM
- Juan Pierre lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Adeiny Hechavarria due up.
Reds 0, Marlins 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 16 7:19 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 16 7:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21