Crawford, Giants beat RockiesMay 17, 2013 - 6:03 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Brandon Crawford went 2-for-4 with a three-run double and two runs scored as the San Francisco Giants edged the Colorado Rockies, 8-6, in the opener of a four-game set at Coors Field.
Angel Pagan added two hits and a pair of RBI, while Brandon Belt, Gregor Blanco and Matt Cain each drove in a run for the Giants, who have won four of their last six games.
"It was just one of those games where we went out there with a plan," said Belt. "We were looking for a pitch that we could drive and we didn't give in."
Cain (3-2) was charged with all six runs on eight hits -- three homers -- while striking out six over 6 1/3 innings to earn his third consecutive win. Sergio Romo recorded the final two outs of the nine to earn his 13th save of the season.
Wilin Rosario went 2-for-4 with a three-run homer and Todd Helton added a two-run shot for the Rockies, who have dropped seven of their last nine games.
Jhoulys Chacin (3-3) was charged with the loss after allowing eight runs on nine hits over 5 1/3 innings.
"When you have a six-run lead you have to put those away," said Colorado manager Walt Weiss. "We have to put together a complete game on both sides of the ball."
Cain struggled early, giving up three runs in both the second and third innings, but settled in after that and shut the Rockies down.
Helton and Nolan Arenado hit back-to-back homers in the second inning. Rosario singled to put one on with one out and Helton followed with a homer to right field to give Colorado a 2-0 lead. Arenado then crushed a solo shot to left-center field to give the hosts a three-run edge.
Rosario's three-run blast in the third made it 6-0. Carlos Gonzalez worked a leadoff walk and Troy Tulowitzki followed with an infield single to put two on for Rosario, who deposited his eighth homer of the season into the seats in right field.
Cain, though, retired 13 of the next 15 hitters he faced before he was replaced by Jeremy Affeldt with one out in the seventh.
San Francisco got right back in the game with a five-run fourth. Belt worked a bases-loaded walk before Crawford cleared the bags with a double. Cain helped his own cause with an RBI single to left to score Crawford.
The Giants took the lead in the sixth inning after plating three runs. With runners on the corner, Blanco lifted a sacrifice fly to center to score Hunter Pence. Crawford followed with a base hit and Cain's sacrifice bunt moved the runners to second and third. Pagan followed with a single to center to score Belt and Crawford.
San Francisco is 18-0 when leading after eight innings this season ... Giants second baseman Marco Scutaro went 2-for-5 and extended his hitting streak to 15 games, the longest active streak in the majors ... Cain hasn't lost since April 18 against the Milwaukee Brewers ... Earlier on Thursday, the Rockies recalled infielder DJ LeMahieu and right-handed pitcher Rob Scahill from Triple-A Colorado Springs. Additionally, Colorado placed left-handed pitcher Jeff Francis on the 15-day disabled list with a left groin strain and designated infielder Reid Brignac for assignment ... LeMahieu had a pinch-hit single and Scahill gave up one hit over 2 1/3 scoreless innings in relief.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 8
May 16 11:48 PM
- Angel Pagan single to center scored Brandon Belt and Brandon Crawford with two out. Runner on first and Marco Scutaro due up.
Giants 8, Rockies 6 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 16 10:39 PM
- Gregor Blanco sacrifice fly to center scored Hunter Pence with one out. Runner on first and Brandon Crawford due up.
Giants 6, Rockies 6 Top 6, 1 OutMay 16 10:30 PM
- Matt Cain single to left scored Brandon Crawford with two out. Runner on first and Angel Pagan due up.
Giants 5, Rockies 6 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 16 10:01 PM
- Brandon Crawford double to center scored Pablo Sandoval, Hunter Pence and Brandon Belt with two out. Runner on second and Matt Cain due up.
Giants 4, Rockies 6 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 16 10:00 PM
- Brandon Belt walk scored Marco Scutaro with one out. Bases loaded with Gregor Blanco due up.
Giants 1, Rockies 6 Top 4, 1 OutMay 16 9:55 PM
- Wilin Rosario none-out, three-run Home Run (8) to right scored Carlos Gonzalez and Troy Tulowitzki. Todd Helton due up.
Giants 0, Rockies 6 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 16 9:33 PM
- Nolan Arenado one-out, solo Home Run (4) to left center. Charlie Blackmon due up.
Giants 0, Rockies 3 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 16 9:06 PM
- Todd Helton one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right scored Wilin Rosario. Nolan Arenado due up.
Giants 0, Rockies 2 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 16 9:05 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 16 8:42 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21