Goldschmidt homers twice as Diamondbacks crush MarlinsMay 18, 2013 - 5:19 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Paul Goldschmidt went 4-for-5 with a pair of two-run homers, as the Arizona Diamondbacks defeated the Miami Marlins, 9-2, in the opener of a three-game series.
Eric Chavez and Cody Ross drove in two runs apiece, with Chavez knocking a solo shot, and Martin Prado had an RBI for the Diamondbacks, who have won three straight.
Arizona starter Trevor Cahill (3-4) allowed just one run on five hits and four walks over eight frames.
"I was just keeping the ball down and making a pitch when I had to," Cahill said. "I'll try to throw more strikes next time."
Rob Brantly and Placido Polanco each drove in one run for the Marlins, who are on a six-game losing streak. Starter Kevin Slowey (1-4) lasted three innings, giving up six runs on seven hits.
"He struggled with his command," Marlins manager Mike Redmond said. "He just couldn't throw a breaking ball and could tell he just didn't have it today."
Goldschmidt and Chavez hit back-to-back homers in the first, with Goldschmidt scoring Gerardo Parra, who doubled to start the game.
Justin Ruggiano grounded into a double play to kill a bases-loaded chance for Miami in the first.
Two innings later, Goldschmidt smashed another shot into the stands, plating Didi Gregorius. Following the home run, Chavez singled, but was forced out at second from a grounder by Ross, and Miguel Montero drew a walk. Prado singled, scoring Ross, to give the Diamondbacks a 6-0 lead.
In the seventh, Goldschmidt doubled to lead off the frame and scored on a sacrifice fly by Ross.
The Marlins finally got on the board in the seventh. Cahill gave up three straight singles, the last one coming from Brantly, who plated Greg Dobbs. Prior to the rally, Cahill retired 13 straight batters.
Arizona added two more runs in the ninth. Gregorius drew a leadoff walk and the team connected on three straight singles by Goldschmidt, Chavez, and Ross to create an eight-run cushion.
Will Harris pitched in the ninth for the Diamondbacks. He got two quick outs, before allowing a double by Dobbs, who then scored when Polanco's hit bounced off Harris' leg and Prado had a tough time making a grab.
Goldschmidt has 35 RBI, second-most in the majors ... Chavez went 4-for-5. He has hit safely in seven of his last eight games, going 13-for-24. Cahill has held opponents to two runs or less in five straight starts.
- ARIZONA: 9
May 17 9:53 PM
- Placido Polanco singled to left scoring Greg Dobbs. Runner on first with two outs and Rob Brantly due up.
Diamondbacks 9, Marlins 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 17 9:52 PM
- Cody Ross singled to left scoring Paul Goldschmidt. On the play, Cliff Pennington advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Miguel Montero due up.
Diamondbacks 9, Marlins 1 Top 9, 0 OutsMay 17 9:36 PM
- Eric Chavez singled to left scoring Didi Gregorius. On the play, Paul Goldschmidt advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Cody Ross due up.
Diamondbacks 8, Marlins 1 Top 9, 0 OutsMay 17 9:33 PM
- Rob Brantly singled to center scoring Greg Dobbs. On the play, Placido Polanco advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Wade LeBlanc due up.
Diamondbacks 7, Marlins 1 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 17 9:12 PM
- Cody Ross sacrifice fly out to right scoring Paul Goldschmidt. None on with two outs and Miguel Montero due up.
Diamondbacks 7, Marlins 0 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 17 9:04 PM
- Martin Prado singled to short scoring Cody Ross. On the play, Miguel Montero advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and A.J. Pollock due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Marlins 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 17 8:04 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt one-out, two-run Home Run 2 (12) to left scored Didi Gregorius. Eric Chavez due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Marlins 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 17 7:55 PM
- Eric Chavez one-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Cody Ross due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Marlins 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 17 7:19 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt one-out, two-run Home Run (11) to left scored Gerardo Parra. Eric Chavez due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Marlins 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 17 7:18 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 17 7:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21