McCarthy gets first win following surgeryMay 19, 2013 - 4:55 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Brandon McCarthy tossed his third career shutout and got his first win since undergoing emergency brain surgery, and the Arizona Diamondbacks beat the Miami Marlins, 1-0, in the middle test of a three-game series.
On Sept. 5, 2012, as a member of the Athletics, McCarthy (1-3) took a line drive to the head off the bat of Erick Aybar and suffered an epidural hemorrhage, brain contusion and a skull fracture. He underwent surgery that night and was discharged six days later, but didn't pitch for the rest of the season.
McCarthy, making his ninth start of the season, allowed just three hits and two walks while striking out five, as the Diamondbacks won their fourth straight game. It was his seventh career complete game.
"The wins for us is the only thing I care about at all," McCarthy said. "My stats is really inconsequential."
Gerardo Parra hit a home run to right field off the first pitch thrown by Marlins starter Tom Koehler (0-2), who allowed just two more hits and fanned seven over six frames.
"He looked really good, threw some nice breaking balls, other than that first pitch," Marlins manager Mike Redmond said.
The Marlins have lost seven straight games.
Miami's best opportunity to score came in the bottom of the first. Derek Dietrich was walked with two outs and advanced to second on a single by Marcell Ozuna. Chris Coghlan then singled to right, but Dietrich was thrown out at the plate, thanks to a great throw by Parra.
Ozuna was the last player to get on base for the Marlins, when he drew a walk to lead off the seventh and later advanced on a balk, and McCarthy retired the final nine batters to end the game.
Arizona left fielder Cody Ross was 1-for-4. He has reached base safely in 16 of his last 17 games ... Marlins reliever Ryan Webb tossed 1 1/3 innings, extending his scoreless streak to 16 2/3 frames.
- ARIZONA: 1
May 18 9:36 PM
- Gerardo Parra lead-off Home Run (4) to right. Didi Gregorius due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Marlins 0 Top 1, 0 OutsMay 18 7:14 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 18 7:13 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21