Padres club NationalsMay 20, 2013 - 1:53 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Will Venable, Kyle Blanks and Yonder Alonso all hit homers and drove in two runs apiece as the San Diego Padres outslugged the Washington Nationals, 13-4, in the finale of a four-game set at Petco Park.
Everth Cabrera collected two hits and two RBI, Alonso scored three runs and had three hits and Jedd Gyorko also drove in two for the Padres, who finished with 15 hits.
Starter Andrew Cashner (3-2) cruised over 6 2/3 frames, allowing three runs on seven hits while fanning six for San Diego, which has won four of its last six.
"Everyone is just doing their part," said Blanks. "Everyone is keeping the line moving, when we're down everyone keeps fighting. It's one of those feelings, regardless of what the score is, you feel like you're going to win."
Ryan Zimmerman hit a two-run homer and had three RBI and Adam LaRoche added an RBI single for the Nationals, who have dropped six of their last nine. Dan Haren (4-5) picked up the loss after yielding seven runs on nine hits over five innings.
Trailing 7-2 in the seventh, Washington added two runs to make it a game. Zimmerman provided a two-out RBI single to right, scoring Denard Span and LaRoche made it 7-4 with a run-scoring single up the middle after Joe Thatcher replaced Tim Stauffer.
That was the closest the Nationals got, however, as San Diego once again took control with five runs, all of which were charged to Washington reliever Ryan Mattheus.
"We didn't pitch very well," said Washington manager Davey Johnson. "We got back in the ball game, but our reliable bullpen just didn't do it. Tough day."
Alonso singled and advanced to second on a balk. Things continued to get worse for Mattheus, who issued consecutive walks to load the bases, and Nick Hundley supplied a sac fly to make it 8-4.
San Diego continued to pound the Nationals' reliever, with the next three batters brining in four runs. Alexi Amarista had an RBI single, Cabrera drove in two with a single and Venable hit a RBI double to make it 12-4.
The Padres struck for three runs in the first off Haren, while their first hitter, Cabrera, single handedly created an issue for the Washington starter.
Cabrera singled up the middle, stole second, and advanced to third on a wild pitch, in between Venable's strike out. Haren issued a walk to Chase Headley and followed by serving up an RBI double to Carlos Quentin to make it 1-0 San Diego. Alonso drove in another run with a sacrifice fly and Gyorko rounded out the scoring with his own run-scoring two-bagger.
Washington finally found the scoreboard in the fourth. Steve Lombardozzi beat out a slow-roller to third for an infield hit and Zimmerman came through with a two-run bomb to left, pulling the Nationals within 3-2.
San Diego broke open the game in the fifth, eventually forcing Haren out of the contest.
Venable opened up the frame with his sixth homer of the year, a moon-shot down the right-field line to make it 4-2. Haren looked to settle down, as he retired the next two batters, though Alonso smacked a double with two down.
Gyorko brought him home with an RBI single to left and Blanks extended the lead to 7-2 with a mammoth shot down the left-field line off of the Western Metal Supply Company brick building.
Haren has faced the Padres 16 times (15 starts) in his career and is 5-4 ... San Diego's 13 runs matched a season-high ... San Diego is 11-3 over its last 14 games at Petco Park ... Haren has dropped three straight starts against the Padres ... LaRoche extended his career-high hitting streak to 16 games.
- WASHINGTON: 4
SAN DIEGO: 13
May 19 7:17 PM
- Yonder Alonso lead-off Home Run (6) to right center. Jedd Gyorko due up.
Nationals 4, Padres 13 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 19 7:06 PM
- Will Venable double to center scored Everth Cabrera with one out. Runner on second and Chase Headley due up.
Nationals 4, Padres 12 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 19 6:49 PM
- Everth Cabrera single to center scored Kyle Blanks and Alexi Amarista with one out. Runner on first and Will Venable due up.
Nationals 4, Padres 11 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 19 6:48 PM
- Alexi Amarista singled to left scored Jedd Gyorko with one out, advances to second on Tyler Moore's throwing error. On the play, Kyle Blanks advances to third. Runners on second and third and Everth Cabrera due up.
Nationals 4, Padres 9 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 19 6:46 PM
- Nick Hundley sacrifice fly out to left scored Yonder Alonso with one out. Runners on first and second and Alexi Amarista due up.
Nationals 4, Padres 8 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 19 6:43 PM
- Adam LaRoche single to center scored Steve Lombardozzi with two outs. On the play, Ryan Zimmerman advances to second. Runners on first and second and Tyler Moore due up.
Nationals 4, Padres 7 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 19 6:28 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman single to right scored Denard Span with two outs. On the play, Steve Lombardozzi advances to third. Runners on first and third and Adam LaRoche due up.
Nationals 3, Padres 7 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 19 6:24 PM
- Kyle Blanks two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Jedd Gyorko. Nick Hundley due up.
Nationals 2, Padres 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 19 5:47 PM
- Jedd Gyorko single to left scored Yonder Alonso with two outs. Runner on second and Kyle Blanks due up.
Nationals 2, Padres 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 19 5:47 PM
- Will Venable lead-off Home Run (6) to right. Chase Headley due up.
Nationals 2, Padres 4 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 19 5:41 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Steve Lombardozzi. Adam LaRoche due up.
Nationals 2, Padres 3 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 19 5:11 PM
- Jedd Gyorko double to left scored Carlos Quentin with two outs. Runner on second and Kyle Blanks due up.
Nationals 0, Padres 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 19 4:28 PM
- Yonder Alonso sacrifice fly out to right scored Chase Headley with two outs. On the play, Carlos Quentin advances to third. Runner on third and Jedd Gyorko due up.
Nationals 0, Padres 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 19 4:27 PM
- Carlos Quentin double to left scored Everth Cabrera with one out. On the play, Chase Headley advances to third. Runners on second and third and Yonder Alonso due up.
Nationals 0, Padres 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 19 4:25 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 19 4:12 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22