Nicasio sharp as Rockies blank slumping GiantsMay 20, 2013 - 1:58 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Juan Nicasio tossed six scoreless innings as the Colorado Rockies blanked the San Francisco Giants, 5-0, in the finale of a four-game set from Coors Field.
Nicasio (4-1) was spotted an early lead when Carlos Gonzalez singled home Eric Young Jr., who singled and stole second to start the bottom of the first. The young Colorado pitcher fanned five and gave up just three hits to give the Rockies their third win over their division rival of the series.
"This creates a lot of confidence for our team," said Gonzalez. "Knowing that we have enough guys here to execute and play better baseball against the Giants or against anybody is always nice."
Gonzalez and Troy Tulowitzki contributed two RBI apiece while Dexter Fowler had a season-best four hits -- all singles -- to go with two runs scored. Fowler finished the series with 10 hits and seven runs.
Barry Zito (3-3) surrendered all five runs and 11 hits over 5 2/3 innings for his second straight loss.
"My timing was kind of in and out today," said Zito. "I made some pitches when I had to to get out of some jams, but generally the ball was up in the zone."
Colorado tacked on two insurance runs in both the fifth and sixth innings. Fowler led off the fifth with a single and Gonzalez followed with an RBI double to right. After Zito fanned Tulowitzki, Jordan Pacheco singled to center to plate Gonzalez.
With two away in the sixth, consecutive singles from Young and Fowler chased Zito from the game. Jose Mijares took the hill and promptly walked Gonzalez to load the bases, setting up Tulowitzki's line-drive single to left-center which scored two.
The Giants hardly threatened, going down in order in the first, third, fourth seventh and ninth innings. They will return home Monday to take on the Washington Nationals after going 1-5 on this six-game road trip.
Giants outfielder Hunter Pence remained perfect on the season with his eighth stolen base in as many tries ... San Francisco's Angel Pagan left in the fifth inning with flu-like symptoms ... Gregor Blanco and Brandon Crawford each had two hits for the Giants ... Tulowitzki improved to 4-for-6 with 10 RBI with the bases loaded this season.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
May 19 7:23 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki singled to left scored Eric Young and Dexter Fowler with two outs. On the play, Carlos Gonzalez advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jordan Pacheco due up.
Giants 0, Rockies 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 19 6:32 PM
- Jordan Pacheco singled to center scored Carlos Gonzalez with one out. Runner on first and DJ LeMahieu due up.
Giants 0, Rockies 3 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 19 5:58 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez doubled to right scored Dexter Fowler with none out. Runner on second and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Giants 0, Rockies 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 19 5:53 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez singled to right scored Eric Young with one out. Runner on first and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Giants 0, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 19 4:29 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 19 4:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21