Kershaw's CG helps Dodgers edge BrewersMay 21, 2013 - 3:57 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - Clayton Kershaw fired a three-hit complete game, and Andre Ethier and Matt Kemp homered, as the Los Angeles Dodgers edged the Milwaukee Brewers, 3-1, to start a three-game set at Miller Park.
Kershaw (5-2) walked one and had five strikeouts to earn his 10th career complete game. He was one out shy of going the distance in his most recent start, last Tuesday against the Washington Nationals.
"It's pretty amazing to play defense behind him," Ethier said of Kershaw. "You thank your lucky stars you don't have to face him. It feels good, but we still need to score more runs for him."
Ethier tacked on an RBI triple for the Dodgers, who were swept in a three-game set at Atlanta over the weekend.
Yovani Gallardo (3-4) surrendered eight hits and three runs and had seven strikeouts over six innings for the Brewers. He's lost three consecutive starts.
Gallardo exited after throwing 105 pitches with just 57 for strikes.
"I think his pitch count is always up in the past because he's a strikeout pitcher," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said. "I think Yo will get better than that and will be able to go deeper. His command is getting better and he had more life on his fastball."
Norichika Aoki drove in the lone run for Milwaukee, which fell to 3-15 this month.
The Dodgers have a lot to look forward to Tuesday when Zack Greinke pitches against his former team in a ballpark where he has thrived. Greinke, who pitched for the Brewers in 2011 and part of last season, is 15-0 in 24 games (23 starts) in the regular season at Miller Park.
Kemp walked to start the second inning and Ethier tripled to right field when the ball took an odd bounce off the wall and away from Aoki.
Gallardo's sacrifice bunt moved Rickie Weeks and Yuniesky Betancourt into scoring position in the third, but the Brewers managed only one run thanks to Aoki's groundout to second. Jean Segura struck out looking to end the inning.
Ethier homered to right field with one out in the fourth for a 2-1 lead and Kemp went deep to left leading off the sixth. It was his second homer of the year and first since April 24.
Aramis Ramirez narrowly missed a homer down the left field line in the ninth, and after the foul ball he struck out.
Kershaw, who threw 75 of his 107 pitches for strikes, is 3-0 over his last six starts and hasn't lost since April 17 against San Diego. He's allowed three runs or fewer in 22 straight starts, which is the fourth-longest streak in LA Dodgers history ... The Dodgers have activated pitcher Ted Lilly from the 15-day disabled list. The 37-year-old Lilly landed on the DL, retroactively to April 30, with a right rib cage strain. To make room for the veteran left-hander, the Dodgers optioned Matt Magill to Triple-A Albuquerque ... Hiram Burgos starts for Milwaukee Tuesday.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
May 20 10:36 PM
- Matt Kemp lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 3, Brewers 1 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 20 9:36 PM
- Andre Ethier one-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. A.J. Ellis due up.
Dodgers 2, Brewers 1 Top 4, 1 OutMay 20 9:03 PM
- Norichika Aoki groundout to second scored Rickie Weeks with two out. On the play, Yuniesky Betancourt advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Jean Segura due up.
Dodgers 1, Brewers 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 20 8:56 PM
- Andre Ethier triple to right scored Matt Kemp with none out. Runner on third with none out and A.J. Ellis due up.
Dodgers 1, Brewers 0 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 20 8:26 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 20 8:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22