Alvarez and Locke help Pirates take out BrewersMay 26, 2013 - 12:03 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - Pedro Alvarez recorded his seventh career multi-homer game, including his third versus Milwaukee, and Jeff Locke tossed another gem as the Pittsburgh Pirates downed the Brewers, 5-2, in the second test of a three-game set at Miller Park.
Alvarez drove in three runs, while Andrew McCutchen and Neil Walker each clubbed solo homers for the Pirates, winners in nine of their last 11 games.
"The pitch that really made the difference for him was the fastball inside for strikes," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said of Locke. "Very impressive. He's getting better, the confidence is there. He's not afraid of the barrel."
Locke (5-1) continued his recent success, tossing six innings of three-hit, shutout ball and striking out seven in the win.
"It's just nice to come here and win a game," Locke said. "We've struggled here, every body told me, even though I've only pitched here once before. I just know I have to keep attacking and take advantage of my tremendous defense."
The lefty has yielded three earned runs or less in each of his last seven starts since April 23, and has surrendered a total of seven earned runs during that span.
Carlos Gomez smacked two solo homers -- his seventh and eighth of the season -- to account for Milwaukee's lone runs. Mike Fiers (1-3) gave up four runs on five hits over four frames for the Brewers, who have lost four of six.
"He didn't give up a lot of hits, but when he did, they were homers," Milwaukee manager Ron Roenicke said of Fiers. "He hung some fastballs and missed location. I expect us to score runs, hopefully we'll get this thing going."
Fiers retired the first two batters of the game, but made a mistake by serving up a 1-0 offering over the middle of the plate to McCutchen, who smacked a line-drive homer that bounced off the top of the left field wall for a 1-0 Pittsburgh lead.
The Buccos utilized the longball once again in the second and fourth inning.
Walker hit a one-out single and Alvarez followed with a two-run shot to make it 3-0 in the second and Walker added to Pittsburgh's lead in the fourth with a solo homer to right to make it 4-0.
Gomez hit for his first homer off Justin Wilson, who relieved Locke in the seventh, while Alvarez hit his second of blast of the game in the ninth, a moon-shot to right field off Alfredo Figaro.
Tony Watson worked around Gomez's solo homer in the ninth to help the Pirates secure the win.
Walker is now tied with George Grantham for the second most career homers by a Pirates second baseman with 40 ... Locke is 4-0 in his last seven starts and also has allowed 24 hits ... Milwaukee fell to 5-17 in May ... Pittsburgh is just 47-9 versus Milwaukee at Miller Park since 2007 ... Fiers started in place of Kyle Lohse, who is nursing a sore elbow.
- PITTSBURGH: 5
May 25 7:05 PM
- Carlos Gomez two-out, solo Home Run 2 (8) to center. Rickie Weeks due up.
Pirates 5, Brewers 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 25 7:03 PM
- Pedro Alvarez lead off Home Run 2 (10) to right. Clint Barmes due up.
Pirates 5, Brewers 1 Top 9, 0 OutsMay 25 6:50 PM
- Carlos Gomez lead-off Home Run (7) to left. Rickie Weeks due up.
Pirates 4, Brewers 1 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 25 6:17 PM
- Neil Walker one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Pedro Alvarez due up.
Pirates 4, Brewers 0 Top 4, 1 OutMay 25 5:14 PM
- Pedro Alvarez one-out, two-run Home Run (9) to right scored Neil Walker. Clint Barmes due up.
Pirates 3, Brewers 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 25 4:35 PM
- Andrew McCutchen two-out, solo Home Run (7) to left. Garrett Jones due up.
Pirates 1, Brewers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 25 4:14 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 25 4:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21