Reds stay hot, defeat CubsMay 26, 2013 - 12:26 AM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Derrick Robinson's squeeze bunt highlighted a four-run sixth inning that carried Cincinnati to a 5-2 win over the visiting Chicago Cubs and former Red Travis Wood.
Todd Frazier had two RBI for the Reds, who have won five straight and 13 of their last 16 games. Cincinnati starter Homer Bailey (3-3) gave up two runs on five hits, walked three and struck out eight over six innings.
Anthony Rizzo finished 3-for-3 with a walk and one RBI for Chicago, which has dropped a season-worst six consecutive games. Wood (4-3) surrendered five runs on seven hits and three walks in 5 2/3 innings, snapping his streak of quality starts to begin the season at nine.
The Reds, down 2-1 entering the sixth, saw their first two batters reach base as Joey Votto walked and Brandon Phillips singled. Frazier tied things up with a one-out base hit to center field and Phillips scored the go-ahead run on Robinson's perfectly executed squeeze play.
"I kind of was expecting it because we had talked about it in the past and that was a perfect situation," Robinson said about the squeeze bunt.
Ryan Hanigan followed with an RBI double and scored on a single by pinch- hitter Cesar Izturis.
"You try to get (Wood) through that inning. One more out and just couldn't do it. Another pretty good outing up until (that inning)," said Chicago manager Dale Sveum.
The Cubs stranded two men in the eighth against Jonathan Broxton and were retired 1-2-3 in the ninth by Aroldis Chapman, who earned his 12th save of the season.
Chicago got on the board in the third with a pair of two-out runs. Rizzo ended an 0-for-22 slump with a double that plated David DeJesus, who had walked, and Alfonso Soriano brought Rizzo home with a single.
The Reds halved their deficit on Frazier's sacrifice fly in the fourth.
Wood became the first Cubs starter to open a season with nine straight quality outings since Mordecai Brown had 11 in 1908 ... Votto went 0-for-3 to halt his hitting streak at 12 games, the same number Phillips has now hit safely in ... The Reds improved to 18-6 at Great American Ball Park this year.
- CHICAGO: 2
May 25 7:33 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Cesar Izturis single to left scored Ryan Hanigan with two out. Runner on first and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Cubs 2, Reds 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 25 6:40 PM
- Ryan Hanigan double to center scored Todd Frazier with two out. Runner on second and Homer Bailey due up.
Cubs 2, Reds 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 25 6:37 PM
- Derrick Robinson sacrifice bunt to pitcher scored Brandon Phillips with two out. On the play, Todd Frazier advances to second. Runner on second and Ryan Hanigan due up.
Cubs 2, Reds 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 25 6:34 PM
- Todd Frazier single to center scored Joey Votto with one out. On the play, Brandon Phillips advances to third. Runners on first and third with Derrick Robinson due up.
Cubs 2, Reds 2 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 25 6:32 PM
- Todd Frazier sacrifice fly to center scored Brandon Phillips with two out. Runner on first and Derrick Robinson due up.
Cubs 2, Reds 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 25 5:42 PM
- Alfonso Soriano single to center scored Anthony Rizzo with two out. Runner on first and Nate Schierholtz due up.
Cubs 2, Reds 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 25 5:03 PM
- Anthony Rizzo double to left scored David DeJesus with two out. Runner on second and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Cubs 1, Reds 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 25 4:59 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 25 4:11 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21