Kozma, Cards down DodgersMay 27, 2013 - 12:06 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Pete Kozma went 4-for-4 with three doubles and three RBI to lead the St. Louis Cardinals to a 5-3 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the finale of a three-game set at Dodger Stadium.
Matt Carpenter had two hits and an RBI and Matt Adams added a pinch-hit RBI single for the Cardinals, winners in four of their last five.
Seth Maness (4-1) earned the win after tossing one scoreless frame in relief, and Edward Mujica hurled a perfect ninth to pick up his 14th save of the season.
Starter Shelby Miller gave up three runs on seven hits over 5 1/3 innings. It was Miller's shortest outing since going 5 1/3 frames on April 6.
Adrian Gonzalez, who finished a triple shy of the cycle on Saturday, went 2- for-4 with a homer and three RBI for the Dodgers, losers in six of their last nine.
Clayton Kershaw (5-3) was tagged for four runs on seven hits over seven frames.
"Clayton wasn't as sharp as he's been, but he gave us a chance to get back in it. We had our chances, we're just not getting guys across," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly.
Gonzalez got the Dodgers on the board in the first inning with a two-run homer. Carl Crawford drew a leadoff walk, and after Mark Ellis flied out, Gonzalez crushed a fastball into the seats in right-center field.
The Cardinals, though, scored three runs in the second to take the lead. With the bags full, Kozma ripped a double into the left field corner to clear the bases.
Gonzalez continued to deliver for the Dodgers in the fifth, dropping a single into center field to score Kershaw to tie the game. It was his sixth RBI of the series.
Carpenter's RBI single in the seventh gave the Cardinals a 4-3 lead. Kozma lifted a fly ball to short center field. Dee Gordon dove for the ball, but couldn't finish off the fantastic effort, and Kozma scurried to second base. Two-batters later, Carpenter roped a line drive off Gonzalez's glove and into right field to score Kozma.
"Clayton is a great pitcher and he is going to throw strikes. I got a little lucky. I was looking for something to drive and it snuck by (Dodgers third baseman Juan Uribe's) glove," said Kozma. "It feels great to get the win today and series win."
Adams singled home Kozma in the ninth to give St. Louis the decisive 5-3 advantage.
St. Louis recalled rookie pitcher Michael Blazek from Double-A Springfield on Sunday after placing left- handed starter John Gast on the 15-day disabled list ... St. Louis was just 3-for-13 with runners in scoring position ... Crawford went 3-for-4 with two doubles ... Kershaw snapped a streak of five starts where he held opposing hitters to one or fewer earned runs.
- ST. LOUIS: 5
LOS ANGELES: 3
May 26 7:25 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Matt Adams single to right scored Pete Kozma with one out. On the play, Matt Carpenter advances to second. Runners on first and second and Matt Holliday due up.
Cardinals 5, Dodgers 3 Top 9, 1 OutMay 26 7:11 PM
- Matt Carpenter infield single to second, deflected by first scored Pete Kozma with one out. Runner on second and Jon Jay due up.
Cardinals 4, Dodgers 3 Top 7, 1 OutMay 26 6:29 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez infield single to short scored Clayton Kershaw with two out. On the play, Carl Crawford advances to third. Runners on first and third and Andre Ethier due up.
Cardinals 3, Dodgers 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 26 5:54 PM
- Pete Kozma double to left scored Yadier Molina, David Freese and Daniel Descalso with none out. Runner on second and Shelby Miller due up.
Cardinals 3, Dodgers 2 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 26 4:38 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez one-out, two-run Home Run (6) to right scored Carl Crawford. Andre Ethier due up.
Cardinals 0, Dodgers 2 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 26 4:27 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 26 4:10 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22