Prado, Diamondbacks edge PadresMay 27, 2013 - 4:13 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Martin Prado went 4-for-4 with the eventual game-winning RBI in the seventh inning as the Arizona Diamondbacks edged the San Diego Padres, 6-5, to win the rubber match of a three-game set at Chase Field.
Eric Chavez had a two-run homer while Gerardo Parra, Miguel Montero and Patrick Corbin each added an RBI as well.
Corbin (8-0) allowed a season-high four runs (three earned) but still collected the win.
"He kept his composure," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said of Corbin's performance.
He scattered seven hits, fanned five and walked two over six frames en route to becoming the first Diamondbacks pitcher to start the season 8-0 since Micah Owings in 2011.
"We had some good swings but he is a good pitcher. We will see him again. He is going to be around a while," Padres manager Bud Black said.
Carlos Quentin and Kyle Blanks each went 2-for-4 with two RBI for the Padres, who have dropped four of five.
Tommy Layne (0-1), who was recalled from Triple A-Tuscon on Friday, was tagged with the loss in his season debut. He allowed just one run in 2 1/3 innings.
San Diego got the scoring going early after a lead off double from Chris Denorfia. After a sacrifice bunt moved him to third, Chase Headley grounded out to shortstop to bring a run home.
It didn't take long for the Diamondbacks to respond with a Chavez two-run homer in the first, his second two-run shot in as many days.
Arizona continued their offense in the second inning when Montero doubled to center scoring Prado from first. Two batters later, with men on second and third with one out, Parra hit a sac fly to left to bump the lead to 4-1.
Jason Marquis had his worst outing of the season, lasting just 3 1/3 innings, after winning his previous five decisions. He allowed four runs on seven hits while walking four.
Jedd Gyorko singled to start of the fourth and advanced to second after Corbin threw the ball into the crowd while trying to get Gyorko out at first. Blanks cut the lead to two after an RBI single drove in Gyorko.
Quentin hit a two-out, two-run home run to tie the game up at four apiece in the fifth.
Arizona's offense answered once again in the fifth. Following a A.J. Pollock two-out ground-rule double, Corbin broke the tie with an RBI single to give the Diamondbacks a 5-4 lead in the fifth.
Prado extended the lead to 6-4 with a double to deep center, following a Jason Kubel walk in the seventh to bring in the eventual game-winning run.
San Diego had a chance to tie the game up in the eighth after Brad Ziegler surrendered a two-out RBI double to Blanks. Matt Reynolds came in for Ziegler and got Mark Kotsay to pop-up and end the Padres rally.
Heath Bell got his eighth save of the year with a quick 1-2-3 ninth inning.
Chavez is third among MLB third basemen with a .984 fielding percentage ... Arizona was 3-for-10 with RISP ... Ziegler ended an 8-game scoreless streak (5.2IP).
- SAN DIEGO: 5
May 26 7:03 PM
- Kyle Blanks double to left scored Will Venable with two outs. Runner on second and Tim Stauffer due up.
Padres 5, Diamondbacks 6 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 26 6:45 PM
- Martin Prado double to center scored Jason Kubel with one out. Runner on second and Miguel Montero due up.
Padres 4, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 26 6:31 PM
- Patrick Corbin single to left scored A.J. Pollock with two outs. On the play, Corbin out at second left to third to second to end the inning.
Padres 4, Diamondbacks 5 End 5May 26 5:53 PM
- Carlos Quentin two-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left scored Everth Cabrera. Jedd Gyorko due up.
Padres 4, Diamondbacks 4 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 26 5:44 PM
- Kyle Blanks single to right scored Jedd Gyorko with none out. Runner on first and Jesus Guzman due up.
Padres 2, Diamondbacks 4 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 26 5:14 PM
- Gerardo Parra sacrifice fly out to left scored Miguel Montero with two outs. Runner on second and Didi Gregorius due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 26 4:46 PM
- Miguel Montero double to center scored Martin Prado with none out. Runner on second and A.J. Pollock due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 26 4:41 PM
- Eric Chavez two-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Paul Goldschmidt. Jason Kubel due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 26 4:23 PM
- Chase Headley grounded out short to first scored Chris Denorfia with two outs. None on and Carlos Quentin due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 26 4:14 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 26 4:11 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21