Dodgers edge AngelsMay 28, 2013 - 5:05 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Adrian Gonzalez went 4-for-4 with four runs scored as the Los Angeles Dodgers survived with an 8-7 win over the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
The Dodgers overcame three errors and a poor start from Zach Greinke, who was tagged for six runs -- four earned -- and ten hits in four-plus innings. Juan Uribe did not start the game but finished 3-for-3 while Scott Van Slyke had two hits and a pair of RBI.
Ronald Belisario (3-4) earned the win by inducing a double play in the seventh inning while Brandon League picked up his 11th save for the Dodgers, who host Tuesday's clash before the series heads to Angel Stadium of Anaheim for the final two games.
Albert Pujols and Howie Kendrick had three hits apiece to pace the Angels, who had an eight-game winning streak snapped.
Mike Trout singled with one away in the opening frame before Pujols lofted a pop up into center field. Matt Kemp tracked the ball down but it bounced in and out of his glove, ultimately landing on the grass next to him. Trout and Pujols ended up in scoring position and scored when Mark Trumbo struck out but advanced to first when Ramon Hernandez allowed a passed ball and made a poor throw to first.
Gonzalez and Van Slyke ripped consecutive doubles to start the home half of the second inning, putting the Dodgers' first run across.
Pujols doubled and scored in the third when, after Trumbo and Josh Hamilton were retired, Kendrick doubled to center to give the Angels a 3-1 edge.
Greinke's struggles continued in the fourth inning when Hank Conger led off with a single to left and advanced on C.J. Wilson's sacrifice. Erick Aybar doubled home Conger and Trout followed with his major league-leading sixth triple of the season. Pujols plated Trout with a sacrifice fly to the warning track in center.
Hernandez's sac fly in the fourth plated Gonzalez to make it a 6-2 game.
The Dodgers chased Wilson from the game with a four-spot in the home half of the fifth. With one out and Luis Cruz and Nick Punto on the corners, Mark Ellis doubled in a pair of runs to bring the home team within two. Kemp whiffed for the second out, but Gonzalez singled in a run and Van Slyke followed with an RBI-double off the wall in left. Michael Kohn replaced Wilson on the mound and got Hernandez to pop out, ending the frame.
"We got a big lead early, but unfortunaley, C.J. (Wilson) couldn't make some of his pitches," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "Give them credit, they came back."
A.J. Ellis hit a sacrifice fly with two outs in the bottom of the sixth inning to give the Dodgers their first lead, but it didn't last long as Kendrick drove in Hamilton with a single to right the next time the Angels took the plate.
The home team finally pulled ahead for good in the bottom of the seventh when they got to Angels reliever Robert Coello (1-1), who hadn't allowed a run in 8 1/3 innings in relief this season. Coello fanned Kemp and Van Slyke around a Gonzalez single, but Andre Ethier drew a walk and Jerry Hairston Jr. drove in Gonzalez with a single to right before Cruz struck out.
"We got a lot of big hits tonight," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "A lot of good thigns happened. It didnt start pretty, but it was a good effort by us to come back."
League gave up a leadoff single to Pujols to start the ninth, but got Trumbo to hit into a double play then forced a groundout from Hamilton to end the game.
Wilson started for the Angels and surrendered six runs on nine hits in 4 2/3 innings ... Kemp went 0-for-5 with four strikeouts ... Both teams had four hits with runners in scoring position and left seven men on base.
- LOS ANGELES: 7
LOS ANGELES: 8
May 27 11:49 PM
- Jerry Hairston single to right scored Adrian Gonzalez. On the play, Andre Ethier advances to second. Runners on first and second with two out and Luis Cruz due up.
Angels 7, Dodgers 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 27 11:15 PM
- Howie Kendrick single to right scored Josh Hamilton. On the play, Howie Kendrick thrown out at second. None on with one out and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 7, Dodgers 7 Top 7, 1 OutMay 27 10:50 PM
- A.J. Ellis sacrifice fly to right scored Luis Cruz. On the play, Juan Uribe advances to third. Runner on third with two out and Mark Ellis due up.
Angels 6, Dodgers 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 27 10:43 PM
- Scott Van Slyke double to left scored Adrian Gonzalez. Runner on second with two out and Ramon Hernandez due up.
Angels 6, Dodgers 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 27 10:08 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to center scored Mark Ellis. Runner on first with two out and Scott Van Slyke due up.
Angels 6, Dodgers 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 27 10:06 PM
- Mark Ellis double to left scored Luis Cruz and Nick Punto. Runner on second with one out and Matt Kemp due up.
Angels 6, Dodgers 4 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 27 10:00 PM
- Ramon Hernandez sacrifice fly to right scored Adrian Gonzalez. None on with two out and Jerry Hairston due up.
Angels 6, Dodgers 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 27 9:30 PM
- Albert Pujols sacrifice fly to center scored Mike Trout. None on with two out and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 6, Dodgers 1 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 27 9:19 PM
- Mike Trout triple to left scored Erick Aybar. Runner on third with one out and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 5, Dodgers 1 Top 4, 1 OutMay 27 9:19 PM
- Erick Aybar double to right scored Hank Conger. Runner on second with one out and Mike Trout due up.
Angels 4, Dodgers 1 Top 4, 1 OutMay 27 9:15 PM
- Howie Kendrick double to left center scored Albert Pujols. Runner on second with two out and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 3, Dodgers 1 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 27 8:57 PM
- Scott Van Slyke double to left scored Adrian Gonzalez. Runner on second with none out and Ramon Hernandez due up.
Angels 2, Dodgers 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 27 8:43 PM
- Mark Trumbo struck out, but advances to first on a passed ball scoring Mike Trout. On the play, Albert Pujols scored on Ramon Hernandez's throwing error. Runner on first with one out and Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 2, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 27 8:19 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 27 8:12 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22