Padres outlast Blue Jays in 17 inningsJun 1, 2013 - 7:39 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Jedd Gyorko drove in a pair and scored the tying run in the fifth inning.
Twelve innings later, he scored the winning run, too.
Jesus Guzman knocked him in from second base in the bottom of the 17th inning, and the San Diego Padres outlasted the Toronto Blue Jays, 4-3, in near five- hour marathon at Petco Park.
Gyorko had three of the Padres' nine hits, with his last coming on a sharp liner off the third base bag with one out in final frame.
Clayton Richard (1-5), who was suppose to start the middle test on Saturday of this three game set, pitched two scoreless innings of relief before laying down a sac bunt.
"We took Clayton's start tomorrow out of the equation and decided to use him tonight and go for the W," said Padres manager Bud Black.
Gyorko moved to second on the sacrifice and Guzman, who was 0-for-3 to that point, lined a base hit up the middle to score the winning run and lift the Padres to their third win in four games.
Todd Redmond (0-1) pitched 3 2/3 innings out of the bullpen for Toronto, which mustered just three singles over the last 10 innings of play.
Each team used eight pitchers, with San Diego's bullpen at one point retiring 17 straight batters from the end of the seventh through the 12th inning.
Toronto held the early lead, but when it had runners in scoring position, it never managed a hit in five chances.
Colby Rasmus went 4-for-7 and smacked a two-run homer in the top of the second, and then took one away from Yonder Alonso in the bottom half.
On Alonso's shot to straight away center, Rasmus backed up and snagged it from going over the wall to keep the contest, 2-0, in favor of Toronto.
Edwin Encarnacion's blast into left the field seats to begin the fourth gave the Blue Jays a three-run cushion, but Gyorko brought the Padres even an inning later.
With runners on first and second, Gyorko ripped an offering from Toronto starter Chad Jenkins into the gap in right center for a double. Both runners scored on the hit and Gyorko eventually came home on the play when catcher J.P. Arencibia tried to catch him advancing to third.
Sab Diego starter Jason Marquis was pulled after loading the bases in the top half of the sixth, but Tyson Ross escaped the one-out jam by forcing Melky Cabrera into the unconventional 3-2-3 double play.
After each team foiled opportunities to score in the sixth and seventh innings, only the Padres put runners in scoring position the rest of the game.
Marquis allowed three runs on seven hits and four walks over 5 1/3 innings. He struck out six ... Jenkins lasted five innings and was charged with three runs -- two earned -- on three hits ... Alonso was plunked on the right hand in the seventh and left the game in the ninth. The Padres are calling it a hand contusion, X-rays were negative, and he'll be reevaluated later on Saturday ... Adam Lind had three hits for Toronto.
- TORONTO: 3
SAN DIEGO: 4
Jun 1 3:15 AM
- Jesus Guzman singled to center scored Jedd Gyorko with two outs to win the game.
Blue Jays 3, Padres 4 Bot 17, 2 OutsJun 1 3:11 AM
- Jedd Gyorko double to right center scored Carlos Quentin and Yonder Alonso with one out, advanced home on J.P. Arencibia's throwing error. None on with one out and Will Venable due up.
Blue Jays 3, Padres 3 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 31 11:38 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion lead-off Home Run (15) to left. Adam Lind due up.
Blue Jays 3, Padres 0 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 31 10:52 PM
- Colby Rasmus one-out, two-run Home Run (9) to center scored J.P. Arencibia. Emilio Bonifacio due up.
Blue Jays 2, Padres 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 31 10:29 PM
- TORONTO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 31 10:12 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22