Goldschmidt, D-backs down CubsJun 2, 2013 - 6:51 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Paul Goldschmidt hit a go-ahead grand slam in the eighth inning that lifted the Arizona Diamondbacks to a 12-4 win over the Chicago Cubs, in the middle test of a three-game series.
With Carlos Marmol (2-3) pitching for the Cubs, Willie Bloomquist drew a walk to start the eighth. After Eric Hinske popped out, Gerardo Parra ripped a shot to center, but the ivy alongside Wrigley Field's walls ate the ball and the umpires ruled it a ground rule double, forcing Bloomquist to head back to third. Didi Gregorius walked, which loaded the bases and set up Goldschmidt's grand slam.
"I was looking for a pitch up in the zone to stay out of the double play," Goldschmidt said. "Luckily I was able to put a good swing on it and get it out of there."
Jason Kubel drove in four runs. Parra had a home run and two RBI while Cliff Pennington and Martin Prado each drove in one run for the Diamondbacks.
Arizona starter Ian Kennedy (3-3) allowed four runs on three hits and a walk while fanning seven in seven innings.
Nate Schierholtz had a home run and drove in two runs while Alfonso Soriano and Welington Castillo had an RBI apiece for the Cubs, who had a five-game winning streak snapped.
Chicago starter Jeff Samardzija, coming off his first career shutout on Monday, had 11 strikeouts and gave up three runs on seven hits over 6 1/3 innings.
"He's getting a lot of movement on his fastball ... Obviously his split was pretty devestating tonight," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said of Samardzija.
Parra homered to start the game, but the Cubs scored three runs in the home half of the first. David DeJesus ripped a double to left, Starlin Castro was hit by a pitch and Anthony Rizzo drew a walk to load the bases. Soriano hit a sacrifice fly to center, scoring DeJesus. Schierholtz doubled, plating Castro. Castillo's RBI groundout to shortstop brought Rizzo home.
Cubs manager Dale Sveum was ejected in the second for arguing a safe call when A.J. Pollock reached first on an infield single.
Neither team mustered much offense until the seventh. Kubel smacked a two-out double deep to left-center, scoring Gregorius, but Schierholtz homered to begin the bottom of the inning and tied the game at 4-4.
The Diamondbacks added four more runs in the ninth. With Zach Putnam relieving for the Cubs, Bloomquist singled to lead off and scored on a double by Pennington. Parra then hit a sacrifice fly, scoring Pennington.
Putnam then gave up four straight singles, the last of which came from Prado, who plated Gregorius. Kubel then grounded into a fielder's choice toward second, which brought Goldschmidt home.
Matt Reynolds pitched a 1-2-3 ninth to end the game.
Castro played in his 499th career game ... The Diamondbacks were 4- for-12 with runners in scoring position and left 13 players on base ... Arizona's bullpen has held opponents scoreless in nine of their last 12 road games ... Reynolds is scoreless in 10 of 11 road games. He's allowed just one run in 10 2/3 innings ... There was a 2 hour 21 minute rain delay prior to the start of the game.
- ARIZONA: 12
Jun 2 1:02 AM
- Jason Kubel grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Paul Goldschmidt with two outs. Martin Prado is out at second and Miguel Montero advances to third. Runners on first and third and A.J. Pollock due up.
Diamondbacks 12, Cubs 4 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 2 12:54 AM
- Martin Prado singled to center scored Didi Gregorius with one out. On the play, Miguel Montero advances to second and Paul Goldschmidt advances to third. Bases loaded and Jason Kubel due up.
Diamondbacks 11, Cubs 4 Top 9, 1 OutJun 2 12:52 AM
- Gerardo Parra sacrifice fly out to left scored Cliff Pennington with one out. None on and Didi Gregorius due up.
Diamondbacks 10, Cubs 4 Top 9, 1 OutJun 2 12:46 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Cliff Pennington doubled to right scored Willie Bloomquist with none out. He advances to third on the throw. Runner on third and Gerardo Parra due up.
Diamondbacks 9, Cubs 4 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 2 12:45 AM
- Paul Goldschmidt one-out, Grand Slam (13) to left center scored Willie Bloomquist, Gerardo Parra and Didi Gregorius. Miguel Montero due up.
Diamondbacks 8, Cubs 4 Top 8, 1 OutJun 2 12:15 AM
- Nate Schierholtz lead-off Home Run (7) to right. Welington Castillo due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Cubs 4 Bot 7, 0 OutsJun 1 11:55 PM
- Jason Kubel doubled to left scored Didi Gregorius, Paul Goldschmidt and Martin Prado with two outs. Runner on second and A.J. Pollock due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Cubs 3 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 1 11:47 PM
- Welington Castillo grounded out short to first scored Anthony Rizzo with two outs. Runner on second and Luis Valbuena due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Cubs 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 1 9:59 PM
- Nate Schierholtz doubled to right scored Starlin Castro with one out. On the play, Anthony Rizzo advances to third. Runners on second and third and Welington Castillo due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Cubs 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 1 9:57 PM
- Alfonso Soriano sacrifice fly out to center scored David DeJesus with one out. Runners on first and second and Nate Schierholtz due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Cubs 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 1 9:54 PM
- Gerardo Parra lead-off Home Run (5) to right. Didi Gregorius due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJun 1 9:37 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 1 9:36 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21