Dodgers fight their way past D'backsJun 12, 2013 - 6:13 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Tim Federowicz's bases-clearing double in the eighth inning led the Los Angeles Dodgers past the Arizona Diamondbacks, 5-3, in a heated contest at Dodger Stadium.
With the bases loaded and one out, Federowicz clobbered a line drive into the corner in left field. Adrian Gonzalez and Andre Ethier scored easily and Juan Uribe, who got an incredible jump from first base, slid across the plate safely to give the Dodgers the decisive 5-3 lead.
Kenley Jansen, who was named the closer earlier on Tuesday, worked a perfect ninth to pick up his third save.
Things got chippy earlier in the game as Arizona pitcher Ian Kennedy hit Dodgers right fielder Yasiel Puig in the face with a pitch in the bottom of the sixth inning. Puig remained in the game, but the incident sparked retribution from LA hurler Zack Greinke, who drilled Miguel Montero in the back in the seventh inning.
Following Montero being hit by the pitch, benches cleared momentarily before order was restored.
Kennedy, however, retaliated in the bottom of the seventh by drilling Greinke in the left shoulder/head area.
Benches immediately cleared and things got physical quickly. While it was unclear if punches were thrown, Dodgers hitting coach Mark McGwire was seen gripping Arizona manager Kirk Gibson by the collar.
"A pitch got away and they responded and things got out of control," Gibson said. "Mark (McGwire) was mad, thinking we threw at Greinke. I didn't order to hit him. That's baseball. Things got out of control. Sometimes you throw inside and it gets away from you."
The skirmish was finally broken up after several minutes. Kennedy, Gibson and coach Turner Ward were ejected for the D'backs, while Puig and McGwire were removed from the game for Los Angeles.
"I thought there was a possibility they were going to throw at me, but I went up there thinking it would be a normal at-bat," Greinke said. "I don't want to talk anymore about the incident. I felt I had pretty good control of all of my pitches tonight."
Greinke, who allowed two runs on two hits and struck out five over seven innings, missed nearly a month earlier in the season with a broken collarbone stemming from a benches-clearing situation earlier this season.
On April 11, Greinke hit San Diego Padres outfielder Carlos Quentin with a pitch, causing Quentin to charge the mound. Greinke suffered the injury after he threw his shoulder at Quentin to attempt to absorb a collision near the mound. The right-hander was expected to miss up to eight weeks, but returned on May 10.
Matt Guerrier (2-2) earned the win after recording the final two outs of the eighth inning.
Kennedy was charged with two runs on four hits over 6 1/3 inning before his ejection. David Hernandez (2-3) was pegged with the loss after giving up Federowicz's three-run double.
Jason Kubel clubbed a two-run homer in the fifth to give Arizona a 2-0 lead.
After Puig was hit in the sixth, Ethier crushed a two-run homer of his own over the wall in right field to tie the game.
Willie Bloomquist put the D'backs ahead 3-2 with an RBI single in the eighth inning. A.J. Pollock reached on a pinch-hit double then scored on Bloomquist's single to left field.
Greinke is 0-3 over six starts against the D'backs ... Puig was held hitless for just the second time since reaching the majors on June 3 ... Jansen will replace Brandon League as LA's closer. League blew his fourth save in 17 chances on Monday night ... Arizona first baseman Paul Goldschmidt failed to reach base safely for just the fourth time in his last 42 starts on the road against NL West opponents.
- ARIZONA: 3
LOS ANGELES: 5
Jun 12 1:15 AM
- Tim Federowicz double to left scored Adrian Gonzalez, Andre Ethier and Juan Uribe with one out. Runner on second with one out and Luis Cruz due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Dodgers 5 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 12 12:58 AM
- Willie Bloomquist single to left scored A.J. Pollock with one out. On the play, Gerardo Parra advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Dodgers 2 Top 8, 1 OutJun 12 12:40 AM
- Andre Ethier one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right scored Yasiel Puig. Juan Uribe due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Dodgers 2 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 11 11:56 PM
- Jason Kubel none-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored Cody Ross. Martin Prado due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Dodgers 0 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 11 11:14 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 11 10:10 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21