Prado helps D'backs edge Dodgers in extrasJun 13, 2013 - 7:04 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Martin Prado delivered a go-ahead, ground- rule double as part of a four-run 12th inning as the Arizona Diamondbacks edged the Los Angeles Dodgers, 8-6, to win the rubber match of a three-game set.
Cody Ross doubled and Miguel Montero singled to start the frame. Prado's ground-rule double over the left-field wall off Ronald Belisario (3-5) plated the go-ahead run.
Following an intentional walk to load the bases, Brandon League took the mound and surrendered a single to Cliff Pennington that scored Montero.
After the first two outs of the inning were finally recorded, Gerardo Parra delivered a two-run single to give Arizona an 8-4 cushion.
Josh Collmenter (3-0) pitched two scoreless innings to earn the win before handing the ball over to Heath Bell, who made the game closer than the Dodgers would have liked.
Ramon Hernandez led off the home half with a home run, followed by Yasiel Puig's pinch-hit single and a Skip Schumaker walk. Two groundouts later and the lead cut to two, Adrian Gonzalez worked a walk to bring the winning run to the plate with two outs, but Bell got pinch-hitter Tim Federowicz to ground into a force out to end the game.
Diamondbacks starter Patrick Corbin surrendered four runs on eight hits in his shortest outing of the season, lasting just five frames. After winning seven straight decisions, Corbin hasn't been able to reach the 10-win mark with no- decisions in his last two starts.
"I felt alright," Corbin said. "My job as a starter is to keep us in the game but I wish I could have gone longer. The main thing is we got the win."
Opposing starter, Hyun-Jin Ryu, didn't have his best performance either, yielding three runs on a season-high 11 hits in six innings.
Ross singled to start the fourth, then Montero hit a blooper into center field off the glove of Andre Ethier. Prado lined a single to left to score the first run of the game. Didi Gregorius drove in Montero before Pennington grounded into a double play that scored Prado to give Arizona a 3-0 lead.
The Dodgers put a four spot up in the fifth off Corbin to take the lead.
Juan Uribe doubled to left to begin the inning and was moved to third on an Ethier groundout. Hernandez brought in Uribe with an RBI groundout to second.
The highlight of the inning came when Ryu hit a standup triple, the first of his career, under the glove of a sliding Parra in right following an Alex Castellanos ground-rule double.
Nick Punto delivered a single to center to tie the game at three apiece. Mark Ellis hit a line drive to put runners on the corners. Gonzalez came through with a two-out RBI single for the Dodgers.
"We gave ourselves a chance to win all night," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "These guys have been battling. We have to keep fighting. Hopefully we can put some games together."
The Diamondbacks pulled even in the seventh. It started with Paul Goldschmidt and Ross hitting back-to-back singles with two outs off reliever Chris Withrow in his Major League debut. Montero stepped up and connected on a line drive to left to equal the score. After Withrow walked Prado to load the bases, Paco Rodriguez took the mound and was able to get Gregorius to strike out to end the threat.
Puig was scratched from the lineup on Wednesday, the result of a strained right shoulder ... The Dodgers and Diamondbacks will open the 2014 regular season in Australia with a two-game series at the Sydney Cricket Ground on March 22-23 ... Arizona went 8-for-21 with runners in scoring position ... Los Angeles went 3-for-11 with RISP ... Montero has reached base safely in 21 consecutive games ... Ross and Montero each recorded four hits ... Arizona has yet to lose when Corbin starts a game ... The Diamondbacks first 14 hits were all singles.
- ARIZONA: 8
LOS ANGELES: 6
Jun 13 2:31 AM
- Mark Ellis grounded out third to first scored Yasiel Puig. Runner on second with two outs and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Diamondbacks 8, Dodgers 6 Bot 12, 2 OutsJun 13 2:25 AM
- Ramon Hernandez lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Yasiel Puig due up.
Diamondbacks 8, Dodgers 5 Bot 12, 0 OutsJun 13 2:16 AM
- Gerardo Parra singled to center scored Didi Gregorius and Cliff Pennington. On the play, A.J. Pollock advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Diamondbacks 8, Dodgers 4 Top 12, 2 OutsJun 13 2:11 AM
- Cliff Pennington singled to right scored Miguel Montero. On the play, Didi Gregorius advances to second and Martin Prado advances to third. Bases loaded with none out and Josh Collmenter due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Dodgers 4 Top 12, 0 OutsJun 13 2:06 AM
- Martin Prado ground-rule double to left scored Cody Ross. On the play, Miguel Montero advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Didi Gregorius due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Dodgers 4 Top 12, 0 OutsJun 13 2:01 AM
- Miguel Montero singled to left scored Paul Goldschmidt. On the play, Cody Ross advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Martin Prado due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Dodgers 4 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 13 12:21 AM
- Adrian Gonzalez singled to left scored Nick Punto. On the play, Mark Ellis advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jerry Hairston due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Dodgers 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 12 11:33 PM
- Nick Punto singled to center scored Hyun-Jin Ryu. Runner on first with two outs and Mark Ellis due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Dodgers 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 12 11:28 PM
- Hyun-Jin Ryu tripled to right scored Alex Castellanos. Runner on third with two outs and Nick Punto due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Dodgers 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 12 11:27 PM
- Ramon Hernandez grounded out second to first scored Juan Uribe. None on with two outs and Alex Castellanos due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Dodgers 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 12 11:23 PM
- Cliff Pennington grounded into a double play, short to first scored Martin Prado, Didi Gregorius out at second. None on with two outs and Patrick Corbin due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Dodgers 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 12 11:04 PM
- Didi Gregorius singled to right scored Miguel Montero. On the play, Martin Prado advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Cliff Pennington due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Dodgers 0 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 12 11:03 PM
- Martin Prado singled to left scored Cody Ross. On the play, Miguel Montero advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Didi Gregorius due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Dodgers 0 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 12 11:01 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 12 10:10 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21