Explosive offense fuels Pirates' win over GiantsJun 13, 2013 - 6:22 AM Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - Andrew McCutchen finished 3-for-5 with three RBI and two runs scored, as Pittsburgh outslugged San Francisco, 12-8, in the second edition of a three-game series.
Neil Walker homered among his two hits and also drove in three runs for the Pirates, who have taken the first two in the series and four of five overall thanks to setting a new season high for runs in one contest.
"The offense is coming around and we're scoring a lot of runs," McCutchen said of his team's recent success. "We were able to score enough runs tonight."
Russell Martin added two RBI, while Starling Marte ended up with four hits and scored four times.
Francisco Liriano (5-2) did well enough to win, allowing eight hits and four runs over his six-inning start.
Joaquin Arias picked up a pair of hits and drove in three runs for the Giants, losers in four of their last six. Buster Posey added two RBI, while Hunter Pence doubled twice, scored twice and added a run driven in.
Barry Zito (4-5) was pulled after 4 2/3 frames, having surrendered 11 hits and eight runs for San Francisco, which played without the services of manager Bruce Bochy.
"Too many fastballs up in the zone," Zito said. "If you're not throwing your fastball down in the zone your other stuff's not quite as effective."
Bochy was suspended for one game earlier on Wednesday after he was held responsible for pitcher George Kontos plunking McCutchen in Tuesday's setback after both benches were warned. Kontos drew a three-game ban, but was protected for the time being since he was optioned to Triple-A Fresno.
The hosts exploded in the bottom of the fifth to break open a tie game. Marte led off with a single and stole second, then Jordy Mercer singled and Gaby Sanchez walked. Martin's grounder to first plated a run, then Pedro Alvarez followed with an RBI double to chase Zito. Jose Mijares entered, only to give up a two-run hit from Walker which made it 8-4.
Presley began the home sixth with his first homer of the season, a pinch-hit blast to right for a five-run margin, and Marte continued the rally with a single and stolen base before coming in on a Sanchez double.
San Francisco climbed within 10-6 in the seventh after Pence's fielder's choice grounder compounded by a Mercer error scored Tony Abreu and left Pence at second, then Arias followed with a single to score Pence.
Walker's leadoff blast provided an 11-6 lead for the hosts in the bottom half, but Posey closed the gap to three with a two-out, two-run dobule in the eighth.
In the bottom portion, McCutchen and Sanchez both singled with one down to put runners on the corners and Martin's grounder to third brought in McCutchen for a 12-8 score.
Jason Grilli brought the deluge of runs to a halt in the ninth, retiring the side in order.
Both sides traded runs in the first, with the Giants striking on a Pence RBI double and the Bucs counter-punching on a run-scoring hit from McCutchen.
Pittsburgh picked up three more in the home third thanks to a two-run double by McCutchen and Martin's double-play grounder.
A Juan Perez sacrifice fly scored Pence with two outs in the fourth, then Arias slugged a two-out, two-run single with the bases loaded in the fifth to forge a 4-4 deadlock.
Pittsburgh's previous best offensive output came in an 11-2 win over the Mets on May 11 ... Mercer ended up with three hits and scored twice, while Abreu picked up three hits and scored on three occasions in defeat ... The loss marked the third time Zito failed to work at least five innings this season, with the last time coming in a 3 2/3-inning start at San Diego on April 27.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 8
Jun 12 10:26 PM
- Russell Martin grounded out third to first scored Andrew McCutchen. On the play, Gaby Sanchez advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Giants 8, Pirates 12 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 12 10:15 PM
- Buster Posey singled to right scored Andres Torres and Tony Abreu. Runner on first with two outs and Hunter Pence due up.
Giants 8, Pirates 11 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 12 10:03 PM
- Neil Walker lead-off Home Run (5) to right. Justin Wilson due up.
Giants 6, Pirates 11 Bot 7, 0 OutsJun 12 9:44 PM
- Joaquin Arias singled to right scored Hunter Pence. Runner on first with two outs and Brandon Belt due up.
Giants 6, Pirates 10 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 12 9:38 PM
- Hunter Pence grounded into a fielder's choice to short, scored Tony Abreu. Advances to second on Jordy Mercer's throwing error. Buster Posey out at second. Runner on second with two outs and Joaquin Arias due up.
Giants 5, Pirates 10 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 12 9:35 PM
- Gaby Sanchez doubled to center scored Starling Marte. Runner on second with two outs and Russell Martin due up.
Giants 4, Pirates 10 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 12 9:21 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Alex Presley lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Starling Marte due up.
Giants 4, Pirates 9 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 12 9:11 PM
- Neil Walker singled to right scored Russell Martin and Pedro Alvarez. Runner on first with two outs and Brandon Inge due up.
Giants 4, Pirates 8 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 12 9:00 PM
- Pedro Alvarez doubled to right scored Jordy Mercer. On the play, Russell Martin advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Neil Walker due up.
Giants 4, Pirates 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 12 8:57 PM
- Russell Martin grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short scored Starling Marte. Gaby Sanchez out at second. Jordy Mercer advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Giants 4, Pirates 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 12 8:57 PM
- Joaquin Arias singled to center scored Andres Torres and Tony Abreu. On the play, Hunter Pence advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Brandon Belt due up.
Giants 4, Pirates 4 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 12 8:42 PM
- Juan Perez sacrifice fly out to center scored Hunter Pence. Runner on first with two outs and Brandon Crawford due up.
Giants 2, Pirates 4 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 12 8:20 PM
- Russell Martin grounded into a double play, short to first, scored Andrew McCutchen. Gaby Sanchez out at second. None on with two outs and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Giants 1, Pirates 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 12 8:11 PM
- Andrew McCutchen doubled to center scored Starling Marte and Jordy Mercer. Runner on second with none out and Gaby Sanchez due up.
Giants 1, Pirates 3 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 12 8:07 PM
- Andrew McCutchen singled to left scored Starling Marte. On the play, Jordy Mercer advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Gaby Sanchez due up.
Giants 1, Pirates 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 12 7:30 PM
- Hunter Pence doubled to right scored Andres Torres. Runner on second with two outs and Joaquin Arias due up.
Giants 1, Pirates 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 12 7:19 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 12 7:08 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21