Brewers rout MarlinsJun 13, 2013 - 3:58 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Carlos Gomez finished 4-for-5 with two triples and three RBI as the Milwaukee Brewers dismantled the Miami Marlins, 10-1, to win the rubber match of a three-game series.
Jonathan Lucroy added a three-run triple in the first inning and ended with four RBI. Jean Segura belted a solo home run for the Brewers, who have been scoring runs despite not having slugger Ryan Braun in the lineup due to nagging thumb injury.
"He has put together quite a good season so far," said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke about Gomez. "He continues to have good at bats."
Alfredo Figaro (1-0) spun seven scoreless innings to get his first major league win since Sept. 26, 2009. The right-hander surrendered three hits with four strikeouts in his third start of the year.
Kevin Slowey (2-6), who got the win in the marathon game against the Mets last week with seven scoreless relief innings, was shelled for six runs -- five earned -- on nine hits over five frames.
"The game had to do a whole lot less with the number of days rest and more to do with me executing pitches," said Marlins starter Slowey.
Giancarlo Stanton drove in the lone run for the Marlins.
Norichika Aoki and Gomez each singled in the first inning, and Aramis Ramirez was hit-by-pitch to load the bases with one out. Lucroy cleared the bases with a triple to right-center field.
Segura connected on his 10th homer of the year, a shot to left-center to begin the third, and upped the lead to 4-0.
Following a Scooter Gennett single to left in the fourth, Figaro hit a bunt pop single that dropped between third baseman Ed Lucas and catcher Rob Brantly. Both runners advanced a base on Lucas' throwing error to first. Aoki drove in Gennett with a sacrifice fly to left.
Gomez tripled to start the fifth and was driven in two batters later with Lucroy sacrifice fly to center.
Edgar Olmos came in relief for Slowey in the sixth, but the outcome was the almost identical. Gomez delivered another triple. The hit to right came with two outs and drove in three. Figaro and Aoki singled while Segura worked a walk all with two outs to load the bases. Gomez cleared them and walked home after second baseman Derek Dietrich skipped the ball into the crowd trying to throw him out at third.
Miami's only run came in the ninth when Stanton grounded into a fielder's choice to score pinch-hitter Justin Ruggiano.
Marlins third baseman Placido Polanco missed his second straight game with back stiffness ... The Brewers lead the majors with 29 triples ... Segura extended his hitting streak to nine games ... The Brewers have gone a season- high nine consecutive games without committing an error ... The Marlins went 0-for-4 with runners in scoring position ... The Brewers' seven wins in June have already surpassed their total for May (6) ... Lucroy celebrates his 27th birthday on Thursday.
- MILWAUKEE: 10
Jun 12 9:41 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short, scored Justin Ruggiano. Ed Lucas out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Marcell Ozuna due up.
Brewers 10, Marlins 1 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 12 9:40 PM
- Carlos Gomez tripled to right scored Alfredo Figaro, Norichika Aoki and Jean Segura. On the play, Derek Dietrich's throwing error scored Gomez . None on with two outs and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Brewers 10, Marlins 0 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 12 8:44 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy sacrifice fly out to center scored Carlos Gomez. None on with two outs and Logan Schafer due up.
Brewers 6, Marlins 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 12 8:22 PM
- Norichika Aoki sacrifice fly out to left scored Scooter Gennett. Runner on second with two outs and Jean Segura due up.
Brewers 5, Marlins 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 12 8:12 PM
- Jean Segura lead-off Home Run (10) to left center. Carlos Gomez due up.
Brewers 4, Marlins 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 12 7:48 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy tripled to right scored Norichika Aoki, Carlos Gomez and Aramis Ramirez. Runner on third with one out and Logan Schafer due up.
Brewers 3, Marlins 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 12 7:18 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 12 7:10 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21