Alvarez helps Pirates down DodgersJun 17, 2013 - 3:53 AM Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - Pedro Alvarez had a three-run homer as the Pittsburgh Pirates defeated the Los Angeles Dodgers, 6-3, in the rubber match of a three-game series at PNC Park.
Garrett Jones drove in two runs and Alex Presley went 3-for-4 with a solo home run for the Pirates.
Gerrit Cole (2-0), making his second career start, allowed three runs on seven hits over 5 2/3 innings for Pittsburgh. Jason Grilli pitched a scoreless ninth to notch his 25th save.
Andre Ethier had two RBI and Tim Federowicz drove in one run for the Dodgers, who have lost six of their last eight games. Starter Zack Greinke (3-2) surrendered five runs on eight hits and two walks in five frames.
Presley and Jordy Mercer hit back-to-back singles to begin the bottom of the first. Andrew McCutchen grounded into a fielder's choice to third where Presley was thrown out at the plate. However, Jones smacked a double to right center to score both Mercer and McCutchen.
The Dodgers got on the board in the second. Yasiel Puig hit an infield single, stole second base and scored on a groundout by Federowicz.
Los Angeles' Nick Punto singled to start the fourth and Puig hit an infield single with one out. Next up was Ethier, who singled to shallow left to plate Punto and tie the game. With two on and one out, Federowicz grounded into a double play to end the frame.
In the Pirates' fifth, Jones delivered a two-out single and Neil Walker drew a walk, setting up Alvarez's three-run smash to center.
"We needed someone to click one, and Pedro clicked one to give us an opening," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said.
Adrian Gonzalez hit a two-out ground-rule double for Los Angeles in the sixth. After Puig singled to center, Ethier plated Gonzalez with a single to right. Federowicz drew a walk to load the bases, but Luis Cruz struck out.
Presley's solo shot came with two outs in the sixth for the final margin.
Grilli came on in the ninth for the Pirates. He allowed a two-out walk to A.J. Ellis, who advanced to second on defensive indifference, but struck out pinch-hitter Hanley Ramirez to end the game.
"We have to start throwing runs up consistently," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said.
Puig went 3-for-4 to raise his batting average to .479 ... Alvarez has 45 home runs over the last two seasons, most in the National League ... McCutchen went 0-for-4, ending a seven-game hitting streak ... The Pirates have 25 wins at home, most in the majors.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
Jun 16 6:10 PM
- Alex Presley two-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Jordy Mercer due up.
Dodgers 3, Pirates 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 16 5:16 PM
- Andre Ethier single to right scored Adrian Gonzalez with two outs. On the play, Yasiel Puig advances to third. Runners on first and third and Tim Federowicz due up.
Dodgers 3, Pirates 5 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 16 5:02 PM
- Pedro Alvarez two-out, three-run Home Run (15) to center scored Garrett Jones and Neil Walker. Travis Snider due up.
Dodgers 2, Pirates 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 16 4:46 PM
- Andre Ethier single to left scored Nick Punto with one out. On the play, Yasiel Puig advances to second. Runners on first and second and Tim Federowicz due up.
Dodgers 2, Pirates 2 Top 4, 1 OutJun 16 4:18 PM
- Tim Federowicz ground out short to first scored Yasiel Puig with two outs. None on and Luis Cruz due up.
Dodgers 1, Pirates 2 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 16 3:37 PM
- Garrett Jones double to center scored Jordy Mercer and Andrew McCutchen with one out. Runner on second and Neil Walker due up.
Dodgers 0, Pirates 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 16 3:18 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 16 3:03 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21