Ciriaco, Padres down struggling DodgersJun 21, 2013 - 7:37 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Pedro Ciriaco went 2-for-4 with a homer and three RBI to lead the San Diego Padres to a 6-3 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the opener of a four-game set.
Ciriaco also had an RBI triple and scored twice, while Logan Forsythe and Chase Headley added one RBI apiece for the Padres, winners in eight of their last 10 games.
"A moving bat is dangerous. He got a high sinker and put it in the seats. Pedro is doing fine," said Padres manager Bud Black.
Jason Marquis worked six strong innings, giving up two runs on seven hits while striking out five. Nick Vincent (2-0) picked up the win after working one scoreless inning in relief.
Yasiel Puig and A.J. Ellis both hit solo homers and Juan Uribe drove in a run for the Dodgers, who have dropped eight of their last 11 games to fall to 30-41 this season.
Matt Guerrier (2-3) was pegged with the loss after giving up a pair of runs in the seventh inning.
"We just couldn't get the outs we needed late in the game. Matt has been throwing the ball well, about as well as anyone out there. We just don't get the outs we need," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly.
Los Angeles starter Stephen Fife gave up two runs -- one earned -- on four hits while fanning six over six innings.
The Padres pushed a pair of runs across in the seventh inning to go up 4-2. Yasmani Grandal smoked a ground-rule double to left then scored on Ciriaco's triple to center field, spelling the end of Guerrier's night.
Paco Rodriguez replaced Guerrier on the mound and got pinch-hitter Mark Kotsay to pop out. Rodriguez then intentionally walked Logan Forsythe to put runners on the corners and Headley roped a base hit to center to score Ciriaco.
With a runner on first and two outs in the eighth, Uribe lifted a fly ball to right-center field. Alexi Amarista made an incredible diving catch in the gap with the ball slicing away from him to save a potential run.
Ciriaco gave the Padres some insurance in the home half with his two-run homer to left field. Grandal singled before Ciriaco belted his second homer of the year.
Ellis added a solo homer in the ninth to account for the final difference.
Puig's solo shot gave the Dodgers a 1-0 lead in the first inning.
San Diego broke through with a pair of runs in the fifth. With runners on second and third, Marquis singled to left field to score Amarista. Forsythe followed with an RBI single to right to plate Ciriaco.
The Dodgers tied the game in the sixth inning. Hanley Ramirez and Andre Ethier opened the frame with back-to-back singles to put runners on the corners before Uribe lifted a sacrifice fly to right.
San Diego has won seven straight home games, its longest home streak since winning six straight August 1-25, 2008 ... Grandal had two hits and scored a pair of runs ... Marquis hasn't lost since April 22 ... Puig has hit safely in 14 of his first 16 games.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
SAN DIEGO: 6
Jun 21 1:25 AM
- A.J. Ellis lead-off Home Run (3) to center. Mark Ellis due up.
Dodgers 3, Padres 6 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 21 1:16 AM
- Pedro Ciriaco one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Yasmani Grandal. Luke Gregerson due up.
Dodgers 2, Padres 6 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 21 1:05 AM
- Chase Headley single to center scored Logan Forsythe. On the play, Chase Headley advances to second on Andre Ethier's throwing error. On the play, Will Venable advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Kyle Blanks due up.
Dodgers 2, Padres 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 21 12:38 AM
- Pedro Ciriaco triple to center scored Yasmani Grandal. Runner on third with none out and Nick Vincent due up.
Dodgers 2, Padres 3 Bot 7, 0 OutsJun 21 12:26 AM
- Juan Uribe sacrifice fly to right scored Hanley Ramirez. Runner on first with one out and A.J. Ellis due up.
Dodgers 2, Padres 2 Top 6, 1 OutJun 21 12:00 AM
- Logan Forsythe single to right scored Pedro Ciriaco. On the play, Jason Marquis advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Will Venable due up.
Dodgers 1, Padres 2 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 20 11:47 PM
- Jason Marquis single to left scored Alexi Amarista. On the play, Pedro Ciriaco advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Logan Forsythe due up.
Dodgers 1, Padres 1 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 20 11:44 PM
- Yasiel Puig one-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Dodgers 1, Padres 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 20 10:13 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 20 10:10 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 21