Holliday helps Cards down CubsJun 21, 2013 - 3:56 AM St. Louis, MO (Sports Network) - Matt Holliday went 2-for-4 with a solo homer and two RBI to lead the St. Louis Cardinals to a 6-1 win over the Chicago Cubs in the finale of a four-game set at Busch Stadium.
Allen Craig added a two-run pinch-hit single, while Matt Carpenter and David Freese added one RBI apiece for the Cardinals, who won three of four in the series.
Lance Lynn (10-1) became the fourth 10-game winner in the majors after tossing six innings of one-run ball. Lynn scattered three hits and two walks while striking out six to pick up his fifth win in as many decisions.
Welington Castillo drove in the Cubs' only run with a solo homer in the third inning.
Scott Feldman (6-6) was charged with five runs on six hits and four walks over 5 1/3 innings to absorb the loss.
St. Louis got on the board in the second inning. Yadier Molina walked then moved to third on Matt Adam's double to center field. Freese followed with a ground out to shortstop, but it was enough to push Molina across.
Castillo knotted things up in the third with a solo homer, but the Cardinals came back with a run of their own in the home half to take a 2-1 lead.
Carpenter smacked a double to right field and Carlos Beltran walked to put two on with one out. Holliday then tapped a slow-rolling grounder to the hole on the left side. Starlin Castro managed to get his glove on the ball, but couldn't field it cleanly allowing Carpenter to score.
St. Louis broke the game open with a four-run sixth inning.
Holliday got things started by blasting the first pitch of the inning over the wall in center. After Feldman walked Freese to load the bases later in the frame, Craig stroked his two-run single to right field. Carpenter followed with a base hit to left to bring Jon Jay around to put the Cards up 6-1.
Lynn's only loss of the season came May 7 against the Cubs. Since then, he is 5-0 over seven starts ... Carpenter finished the game 2-for-4 ... Chicago fell to 14-21 on the road this season ... The Cubs went 0-for-3 with runners in scoring position.
- CHICAGO: 1
ST. LOUIS: 6
Jun 20 11:21 PM
- Matt Carpenter singled to left scored Jon Jay with two outs. On the play, Allen Craig advances to second. Runners on first and second and Carlos Beltran due up.
Cubs 1, Cardinals 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 20 10:34 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Allen Craig singled to right scored Yadier Molina and David Freese with two outs. On the play, Jon Jay advances to third. Runners on first and third and Matt Carpenter due up.
Cubs 1, Cardinals 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 20 10:31 PM
- Matt Holliday lead-off Home Run (11) to center. Yadier Molina due up.
Cubs 1, Cardinals 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 20 10:12 PM
- Matt Holliday singled to short scored Matt Carpenter with one out. On the play, Carlos Beltran advances to second. Runners on first and second and Yadier Molina due up.
Cubs 1, Cardinals 2 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 20 9:13 PM
- Welington Castillo lead-off Home Run (2) to center. Darwin Barney due up.
Cubs 1, Cardinals 1 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 20 8:52 PM
- David Freese grounded out short to first scored Yadier Molina with one out. Runner on second and Jon Jay due up.
Cubs 0, Cardinals 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 20 8:46 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 20 8:16 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21