Padres top DodgersJun 22, 2013 - 6:49 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Chris Denorfia went 2-for-2 with a solo homer and two RBI and Chase Headley drove in a pair as the San Diego Padres defeated the Los Angeles Dodgers, 5-2, in the second of a four-game set at Petco Park.
Kyle Blanks also drove in a run for the Padres, winners in nine of their last 11 games.
San Diego starter Clayton Richard left the game after just two pitches with a left shoulder injury.
Tim Stauffer (1-0) picked up the win after replacing Richard. He was tagged for just one run on four hits over four innings. Huston Street worked a perfect ninth to pick up his 15th save of the season.
"We're really just picking each other up lately. Especially with something like (Richard's injury) we can only hope for the best. Our bullpen stepped in and gave us nine innings. I can't say enough about what they're doing for us," Denorfia said.
Hanley Ramirez and Juan Uribe had one RBI apiece for the Dodgers, losers in four of their last five.
Clayton Kershaw (5-5) gave up four runs on seven hits while striking out seven over six frames.
"I have to limit the damage with guys on base. Solo home runs you can live with, but two-run triples you can't. That's what happened tonight. It happened real quick, just one big inning, but it did me in and it was enough," Kershaw said.
The Dodgers got on the board in the first inning. With the bases loaded, Uribe tapped a slow-roller to third base, but it was enough to score Mark Ellis.
San Diego, though, came back in the bottom half of the first as Denorfia blasted a homer over the wall in left.
The Padres added three more in the third inning to go up 4-1. With two on and one out, Headley ripped a two-run triple to the corner in left field. Blanks followed with a base hit to center to plate Headley.
Denorfia added a sacrifice fly in the seventh to make it a four-run game.
Ramirez doubled home Yasiel Puig in the eighth inning to pull the Dodgers within 5-2.
The Padres announced that Richard suffered a left AC joint injury. He will be evaluated further on Saturday ... Denorfia has homered three times off of Kershaw.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
SAN DIEGO: 5
Jun 22 12:58 AM
- Hanley Ramirez double to left center scored Yasiel Puig with one out. Runner on second with one out and Juan Uribe due up.
Dodgers 2, Padres 5 Top 8, 1 OutJun 22 12:38 AM
- Chris Denorfia sacrifice fly to right scored Jaff Decker with two out. None on with two outs and Chase Headley due up.
Dodgers 1, Padres 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 22 12:30 AM
- Kyle Blanks single to center scored Chase Headley with one out. Runner on first with one out and Jesus Guzman due up.
Dodgers 1, Padres 4 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 21 11:19 PM
- Chase Headley triple to left scored Logan Forsythe and Chris Denorfia with one out. Runner on third with one out and Kyle Blanks due up.
Dodgers 1, Padres 3 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 21 11:18 PM
- Chris Denorfia one-out, solo Home Run (5) to left. Chase Headley due up.
Dodgers 1, Padres 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 21 10:35 PM
- Juan Uribe groundout to third scored Mark Ellis with two out. On the play, Hanley Ramirez advances to second and Yasiel Puig advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and A.J. Ellis due up.
Dodgers 1, Padres 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 21 10:27 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 21 10:12 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 21