Rockies crush Nats, end five-game losing skidJun 22, 2013 - 10:12 PM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Jhoulys Chacin threw seven scoreless innings to lead the Colorado Rockies past the Washington Nationals, 7-1, in the third installment of a four-game set at Nationals Park.
Chacin (6-3) scattered just five hits and walked one with three strikeouts for his third straight win, after going winless for more than a month.
"Another great outing by Jhoulys, he was really in control of the game," said Rockies manager Walt Weiss. "A good looking performance by Jhoulys."
DJ LeMahieu finished 3-for-5 with a home run and two RBI and Nolan Arenado had his own solo shot as well. Michael Cuddyer, Corey Dickerson and Chacin each contributed with an RBI apiece for the Rockies, who snapped a five-game losing streak.
Dan Haren (4-9) had his shortest outing of the season, going just 3 1/3 innings while surrendering six runs on seven hits. He hasn't won a game since May 9 and the Nationals are winless in his last eight starts.
"I've done video and changed the way I pitch," said Haren. "At this point I'm just searching on ways to get better."
Ryan Zimmerman's homer in the ninth accounted for Washington's lone run.
LeMahieu's first homer of the year in the first put the Rockies on the board.
Carlos Gonzalez followed with a double to left and crossed the plate with a Cuddyer single that slipped between the left side to extend his career- long hitting streak to 20 games. In Dickerson's first Major League at-bat, he connected on a two-out, RBI double to center to make it 3-0.
Wilin Rosario led off the fourth with a single up the middle and Dickerson smacked a double to right to put runners in scoring position with no outs. A wild pitch scored Rosario. After a ground out, Josh Rutledge was plunked and Chacin helped his own cause with a soft liner to right that chased Haren from the game and upped the lead to 5-0. A 10-pitch at-bat for LeMahieu against Ross Ohlendorf ended with a ground ball to center to add another run.
Arenado's home run to left in the eighth gave Colorado a seven run cushion.
Cuddyer has reached base safely in 39 straight games since April 23, a new Rockies record ... Adam LaRoche has hit safely in 18 straight games at Nationals Park ... Washington was 0-for-4 with runners in scoring position ... The Nationals have hit at least one home run in 81 consecutive series ... Ohlendorf yielded one run on four hits in 4 2/3 innings.
- COLORADO: 7
Jun 22 2:52 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman one-out, solo Home Run (9) to left-center. Adam LaRoche is due up.
Rockies 7, Nationals 1 Bot 9, 1 OutJun 22 2:48 PM
- Nolan Arenado two-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Josh Rutledge is due up.
Rockies 7, Nationals 0 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 22 2:26 PM
- DJ LeMahieu singled to center scoring Josh Rutledge. On the play, Jhoulys Chacin advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Rockies 6, Nationals 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 22 1:22 PM
- Jhoulys Chacin singled to right scoring Corey Dickerson. On the play, Josh Rutledge advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Dexter Fowler due up.
Rockies 5, Nationals 0 Top 4, 1 OutJun 22 1:10 PM
- Dan Haren's wild pitch scored Wilin Rosario. On the play, Corey Dickerson advances to third on a wild pitch. Runner on third with none out and Nolan Arenado at the plate.
Rockies 4, Nationals 0 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 22 1:05 PM
- Corey Dickerson doubled to center scoring Michael Cuddyer. Runner on second with two outs and Nolan Arenado due up.
Rockies 3, Nationals 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 22 12:16 PM
- Michael Cuddyer singled to left scoring Carlos Gonzalez. Runner on second with one out as Cuddyer advanced on the throw to home and Wilin Rosario due up.
Rockies 2, Nationals 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 22 12:13 PM
- DJ LeMahieu one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Carlos Gonzalez is due up.
Rockies 1, Nationals 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 22 12:08 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 22 12:06 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21