Ozuna helps Marlins top TwinsJun 26, 2013 - 5:54 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Marcell Ozuna went 2-for-4 and drove in two runs to lead the Miami Marlins to a 4-2 win over the Minnesota Twins in the opener of a two-game set at Marlins Park.
Derek Dietrich added a solo homer for the Marlins, winners of two straight and four of five overall.
"Ozuna has gotten big hits for us, and did again tonight. He's doing a great job and giving us exactly what we needed in the middle of that order," said Marlins manager Mike Redmond.
Joe Mauer had two hits and scored a run and Josh Willingham drove in a run for the Twins, who have dropped three of four on their five-game road trip.
Kevin Correia (6-5) suffered the loss for the Twins, yielding just two runs on five hits in six innings. The righty, who lost for the first time since May 20th, struck out two and walked two.
Correia cruised through the first five innings and then finally ran into trouble in the sixth. After retiring Juan Pierre on a comebacker, Ed Lucas singled, Giancarlo Stanton walked and Logan Morrison lined a single to center to load the bases for Ozuna, who came through with a single to center to give the Marlins a 2-1 lead. Minnesota center fielder Clete Thomas' fielding error on the play allowed the second run to score on the play.
Dietrich added a solo homer to right in the seventh off reliever Brian Duensing to increase the lead to 3-1.
Minnesota got a run back in the eighth when Trevor Plouffe drove in Mauer with a two-out single, but Chad Qualls retired the next batter, pinch-hitter Chris Parmelee, on a fly out to center with a pair of runners on. That allowed the Marlins to get out of the mess created by Mike Dunn, who began the inning and was charged with the run.
Miami's A.J. Ramos (2-2) got the win, working two innings of one-hit relief, while Steve Cishek earned his 13th save of the season.
"It wasn't our night," said Twins manager Ron Gardenhire. "We made three errors in the ball game. You don't win too many games when you commit three errors in a game."
Morrison ended with two hits for Miami, which has won two of three from the Twins this season.
Willingham began the scoring with an RBI single in the third off Miami starter Jose Fernandez.
Fernandez allowed just one run on four hits over five innings, striking out three and walking three.
Lucas had a single and scored a run.
Correia had won his last two decisions spanning five starts ... Twins pitchers are 0-for-10 this season and just 1-for-29 in the last two seasons at the plate ... Minnesota fell to 8-10 in interleague play this season ... Miami won for just the second time in 10 interleague games this season ... Mauer's run scored gives him 673 for his career, moving him passed Torii Hunter for sole possession of seventh place on the Twins all-time list.
- MINNESOTA: 2
Jun 25 10:07 PM
- Marcell Ozuna double to center scored Logan Morrison with none out. Runner on second and Rob Brantly due up.
Twins 2, Marlins 4 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 25 9:51 PM
- Trevor Plouffe single to right scored Joe Mauer with two out. On the play, Oswaldo Arcia advances to second. Runners on first and second with Pedro Florimon due up.
Twins 2, Marlins 3 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 25 9:43 PM
- Derek Dietrich lead-off Home Run (7) to right. A.J. Ramos due up.
Twins 1, Marlins 3 Bot 7, 0 OutsJun 25 9:17 PM
- Marcell Ozuna single to center scored Ed Lucas with one out. On the play, Giancarlo Stanton scored on Clete Thomas's fielding error. Logan Morrison advances to second. Runners on first and second with Rob Brantly due up.
Twins 1, Marlins 2 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 25 9:01 PM
- Josh Willingham single to center scored Clete Thomas with two out. On the play, Brian Dozier advances to second. Runners on first and second with Justin Morneau due up.
Twins 1, Marlins 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 25 8:00 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 25 7:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22