Cubs top BrewersJun 27, 2013 - 5:04 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - Anthony Rizzo went 2-for-4 with a double and two RBI to lead the Chicago Cubs to a 5-4 win over the Milwaukee Brewers on Wednesday.
Luis Valbuena had two hits and an RBI, while Ryan Sweeney hit a solo home run and Darwin Barney drove in one run for the Cubs, winners in three of their last five games.
Scott Feldman (7-6) gave up three runs on six hits while fanning three over six innings. Kevin Gregg gave up a solo homer, but stranded a runner in the ninth to earn his 12th save of the season.
"(Feldman) has done a great job. He can manage an inning when things start to go haywire," said Cubs manager Dale Sveum.
Aramis Ramirez went 2-for-4 with a homer and two RBI and Juan Francisco added a solo shot for the Brewers, who had won three of four entering the contest.
Yovani Gallardo (6-7) gave up five runs -- three earned -- on eight hits and four walks over four innings to absorb the loss.
Chicago scored a pair of runs in the second inning. Welington Castillo singled then scored on Barney's double to center. Barney then came around on a Valbuena base hit up the middle to make it 2-0.
Ramirez smacked his solo shot in the bottom half of the second to make it 2-1. It was the 2,000th career hit for Ramirez.
Sweeney smacked a leadoff homer in the third to put the Cubs up three runs, but Norichika Aoki doubled home Caleb Gindl in the home half to make 3-2.
Chicago plated two more in the fourth inning to take a 5-2 edge. With the bases loaded, Rizzo laced a two-run single to center to score Valbuena and Starlin Castro.
Ramirez's RBI single in the sixth scored Jean Segura to pull the Brewers within 5-3.
Francisco cracked a leadoff homer in the ninth to pull Milwaukee within 5-4. Rickie Weeks followed with a double to right-center and moved to third on a Logan Schafer sacrifice bunt.
Yuniesky Betancourt followed with a grounder to Valbuena, who fired home to catch Weeks. Gregg then got Scooter Gennett to fly out to end the game.
"That was what (Weeks) was supposed to do, go on contact. We've been hitting balls right at people," said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke. "You hope that it is hit a little to the side of him or in between so the fielder has to move a couple of steps, but the main thing is to try an hit it in the air in that situation."
The Cubs are 51-54 at Miller Park (since 2001) ... Gregg has converted all 12 of his save opportunities this season ... Chicago starters have thrown 46 quality starts this season ... Segura and Weeks extended their hitting-streak to nine and 10 games, respectively ... Gallardo lost for the first time since June 5.
- CHICAGO: 5
Jun 26 11:28 PM
- Juan Francisco lead-off Home Run (8) to right. Rickie Weeks due up.
Cubs 5, Brewers 4 Bot 9, 0 OutsJun 26 11:19 PM
- Aramis Ramirez single to center scored Jean Segura with one out. Runner on first and Juan Francisco due up.
Cubs 5, Brewers 3 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 26 10:22 PM
- Anthony Rizzo single to center scored Luis Valbuena and Starlin Castro with two out. On the play, Ryan Sweeney advances to third. Runners on first and third and Brian Bogusevic due up.
Cubs 5, Brewers 2 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 26 9:32 PM
- Norichika Aoki double to left scored Caleb Gindl with one out. Runner on second and Jean Segura due up.
Cubs 3, Brewers 2 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 26 9:09 PM
- Ryan Sweeney lead-off Home Run (4) to right. Anthony Rizzo due up.
Cubs 3, Brewers 1 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 26 8:53 PM
- Aramis Ramirez lead-off Home Run (5) to center. Juan Francisco due up.
Cubs 2, Brewers 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 26 8:46 PM
- Luis Valbuena single to center scored Darwin Barney with one out. Runner on first and Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 2, Brewers 0 Top 2, 1 OutJun 26 8:40 PM
- Darwin Barney double to center scored Welington Castillo with none out. Runner on second and Scott Feldman due up.
Cubs 1, Brewers 0 Top 2, 0 OutsJun 26 8:35 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 26 8:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21