Cards edge MarlinsJul 7, 2013 - 1:14 AM St. Louis, MO (Sports Network) - Jon Jay scored the game-winning run on Marlins right fielder Giancarlo Stanton's throwing error in the bottom of the ninth inning, as the St. Louis Cardinals recorded a 5-4 victory over Miami on Saturday.
The Marlins sent A.J. Ramos (3-3) to the mound in the ninth. Following two quick outs, Jay walked. Pinch-hitter Shane Robinson followed with a single to right. Stanton's bad relay throw to first baseman Logan Morrison allowed Jay to score on the play.
"Whether it's strange or not how it happened, we'll take it. Gladly." Cardinals manager Mike Matheny remarked.
Matt Adams hit a two-run homer for the Cardinals, who have won the first two contests of this three-game series. Carlos Beltran and Matt Carpenter each added an RBI.
St. Louis starter Joe Kelly, making his second start of 2013, allowed four runs on five hits over six innings. Edward Mujica (1-1) tossed a scoreless ninth to pick up the win.
Morrison hit a two-run homer for the Marlins, who went 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position. Derek Dietrich added a solo shot.
Miami starter Nathan Eovaldi gave up three runs on five hits over 6 2/3 frames.
The Marlins got on the board in the second. Dietrich doubled to left-center field and raced home on Adeiny Hechavarria's single up the middle.
Morrison's homer in the third made it a 3-0 game. Placido Polanco scored on the home run after walking.
St. Louis got two runs back in the bottom half of the frame. Kelly singled and scored on Carpenter's triple to right-center field. Beltran followed with an RBI single to right-center field.
Dietrich led off the fourth with a homer to make it 4-2 Miami. Marlins manager Mike Redmond was ejected later in the inning after disputing an out call at home plate. Hechavarria tried to score from third on Eovaldi's grounder to second. Redmond protested the bang-bang play at the plate in which Hechavarria was called out by umpire Bill Welke.
The Cardinals tied the contest on Adams' homer in the seventh. With a runner on first and two outs, Mike Dunn took over for Eovaldi. Adams came on as a pinch-hitter and smacked Dunn's offering over the wall in right.
"Being a left-handed pitcher, I know that's pretty much the only spot a left- handed hitter's going to hit it out of the ball park," said Dunn of his pitch location. "It was that mistake pitch that they haven't missed."
Cardinals shortstop Daniel Descalso had two errors ... St. Louis is slotting ace Adam Wainwright ahead of rookie Shelby Miller on Tuesday, so that Wainwright returns to the mound twice before the All-Star break.
- MIAMI: 4
ST. LOUIS: 5
Jul 6 5:05 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Shane Robinson single to right scored Jon Jay on Giancarlo Stanton's throwing error to end the game.
Marlins 4, Cardinals 5 Bot 9, 2 OutsJul 6 5:03 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Matt Adams two-out, two-run Home Run (7) to right scored Tony Cruz. Matt Carpenter due up.
Marlins 4, Cardinals 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 6 4:13 PM
- Derek Dietrich lead-off Home Run (8) to right. Adeiny Hechavarria due up.
Marlins 4, Cardinals 2 Top 4, 0 OutsJul 6 3:14 PM
- Carlos Beltran single to center scored Matt Carpenter with one out. Runner on first and Matt Holliday due up.
Marlins 3, Cardinals 2 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 6 3:10 PM
- Matt Carpenter triple to center scored Joe Kelly with one out. Runner on third and Carlos Beltran due up.
Marlins 3, Cardinals 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 6 3:10 PM
- Logan Morrison two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left scored Placido Polanco. Marcell Ozuna due up.
Marlins 3, Cardinals 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 6 3:01 PM
- Adeiny Hechavarria single to center scored Derek Dietrich with one out. On the play, Hechavarria advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Rob Brantly due up.
Marlins 1, Cardinals 0 Top 2, 1 OutJul 6 2:39 PM
- MIAMI: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 6 2:15 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21