Brewers' Gomez robs Votto of go-ahead HR to end gameJul 9, 2013 - 4:18 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - Carlos Gomez robbed Joey Votto of a go-ahead homer with two outs in the ninth inning as the Milwaukee Brewers edged the Cincinnati Reds, 4-3, in the opener of a three-game set at Miller Park.
Francisco Rodriguez walked pinch-hitter Derrick Robinson with two outs to bring Votto, the go-ahead run, to the plate. Francisco delivered a 2-2 fastball over the heart of the plate and Votto drove it deep to center field, but Gomez timed his jump at the wall perfectly, reached over and snagged a sure homer to secure the win for the Brewers.
"When the ball gets up in the air like that we know it carries well here," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said. "When Gommy went to the wall I felt he was going to jump for it. There aren't too many guys who can jump as high as Gommy. I don't think I've ever seen a game end like that. I've seen replays, but never in a game."
Jean Segura went 3-for-3 with a double and an RBI, and Jonathan Lucroy added a two-run homer for Milwaukee, which has won two of its last three games.
Kyle Lohse (5-6) gave up three runs on nine hits over 6 2/3 innings to win his fourth straight decision. Lohse hasn't lost since May 30.
"May wasn't my most healthy month. I battled a hamstring with some other issues," Lohse said. "I made a couple of mistakes about finishing pitches where I normally do. Once I got into June I felt better and got to pitch like I normally do."
Chris Heisey homered, while Jay Bruce and Xavier Paul added one RBI apiece for the Reds, losers in three of their last four games.
Homer Bailey (5-7), coming off his second career no-hitter, was charged with four runs on 10 hits over 5 2/3 innings.
"This team just kind of had my number," said Bailey, who is 1-7 lifetime against Milwaukee. "It's just one of those unexplainable things. I just couldn't find a rhythm."
The Reds pushed a run across in the first to take an early lead. With two on and two outs, Bruce laced a line drive single to center to score Votto.
The Brewers answered with a pair of runs in the home half before scoring one run a piece in the second and third to take a 4-1 lead.
In the first, Segura singled before Lucroy hammered a two-run blast to left-center field.
Segura doubled home Lohse in the second and Rickie Weeks' two-bagger scored Juan Francisco in the third to make it a three-run game.
Heisey belted a solo homer in the fourth inning to make it 4-2.
The Reds pulled within one run in the seventh inning. Pinch-hitter Cesar Izturis and Shin-Soo Choo hit back-to-back two-out singles to put runners on the corners. The Brewers turned the game over to John Axford, who served up a pinch-hit RBI single to Paul. Axford, though, struck out Votto to prevent anymore damage.
Lucroy has homered in three straight games ... Earlier on Monday, the Brewers activated outfielder Ryan Braun from the 15-day disabled list and place third baseman Aramis Ramirez on the DL with a left knee sprain ... Lohse has allowed three earned runs or less in each of his last eight starts ... The Reds left nine runners on base ... Rodriguez earned his ninth save.
- CINCINNATI: 3
Jul 8 11:25 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Xavier Paul singled to right scoring Cesar Izturis with two out. On the play, Shin-Soo Choo advances to second. Runners on first and second and Joey Votto due up.
Reds 3, Brewers 4 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 8 10:29 PM
- Chris Heisey two-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Ryan Hanigan due up.
Reds 2, Brewers 4 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 8 9:15 PM
- Rickie Weeks doubled to center scoring Juan Francisco with two out. On the play, Rickie Weeks advanced to third on the throw. Runner on third and Sean Halton due up.
Reds 1, Brewers 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 8 9:07 PM
- Jean Segura doubled to right scoring Kyle Lohse with two out. On the play, Jean Segura thrown out at third, right to second to third, to end the inning.
Reds 1, Brewers 3 End 2Jul 8 8:53 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy two-out, two-run Home Run (11) to left scored Jean Segura. Juan Francisco due up.
Reds 1, Brewers 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 8 8:29 PM
- Jay Bruce singled to center scoring Joey Votto with two out. On the play, Brandon Phillips advances to third. Runners on first and third and Todd Frazier due up.
Reds 1, Brewers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 8 8:18 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 8 8:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21