Stults stellar as Padres edge RockiesJul 10, 2013 - 5:19 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Eric Stults tossed a complete game as the San Diego Padres took a 2-1 win over the Colorado Rockies to snap a 10-game losing streak.
Stults (7-7) had dropped his previous two starts, the first of which began the 10-game skid back on June 29 against Miami. On Tuesday, though, he finished an out away from the shutout and was charged with just one run on four hits while walking three and striking out five for his second complete game of the season. He also went 2-for-3 at the plate.
"He was pitching great and had a two-hit shutout going into the ninth," said San Diego manager Bud Black about Stults. "All his stuff was working there and he just pitched a great game. The ball was coming out of his hand really good."
Alexi Amarista drove in both runs while Everth Cabrera had two hits and scored a run in the win for the Padres.
Jhoulys Chacin (8-4) had a five-start winning streak snapped as he was charged with just one run on five hits with a pair of walks and four strikeouts over six innings for the Rockies, who have dropped seven of their last nine.
"He had a lot of groundball outs. We couldn't put anything together offensively," Rockies manager Walt Weiss said of Stults, who is 3-0 all-time against Colorado.
The Padres got on the board in the third inning. Stults led off with a single, but was then forced out at second when Cabrera hit into a fielder's choice. Amarista, though, then punched a triple to center to plate Cabrera for a 1-0 lead.
Colorado left men on first and second in the fourth, and got its first hit of the game in the fifth as Josh Rutledge led off with a single. He later stole second, but DJ LeMahieu grounded out to end the frame.
San Diego gave itself some room in the seventh, and Will Venable got the inning started with a double. Nick Hundley followed with a single, and Stults laid down a bunt, but Venable was tagged out at home. Cabrera then singled to load the bases and Amarista put a pitch into left field for a 2-0 lead. Chase Headley then struck out and Carlos Quentin flied out to deep left.
Stults set the Rockies down in order in the seventh and eighth, but got into a bit of trouble in the ninth.
With one out, Wilin Rosario punched a double to the corner in left field. Jordan Pacheco then flied out, but Nolan Arenado dropped a pinch-hit single into shallow right to get the Rockies on the board. Stults, though, stayed on and struck out Rutledge to end the game.
Stults has four complete games in his career ... The Rockies left six men on base while the Padres stranded eight ... Colorado has won nine of the 12 games against San Diego this season.
- COLORADO: 1
SAN DIEGO: 2
Jul 10 12:43 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Nolan Arenado single to right scored Wilin Rosario with two out. Runner on first and Josh Rutledge due up.
Rockies 1, Padres 2 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 10 12:41 AM
- Alexi Amarista single to left scored Nick Hundley with one out. On the play, Everth Cabrera advanced to second and Eric Stults advanced to third. Bases loaded and Chase Headley due up.
Rockies 0, Padres 2 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 10 12:15 AM
- Alexi Amarista triple to center scored Everth Cabrera with one out. Runner on third and Chase Headley due up.
Rockies 0, Padres 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 9 10:57 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 9 10:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22