Blackmon helps Rockies slip past PadresJul 11, 2013 - 7:30 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Charlie Blackmon drove in a pair of runs as the Colorado Rockies took a 5-4 decision over the San Diego Padres in the finale of a three-game set.
Todd Helton had two hits, an RBI and a run scored, while DJ LeMahieu added two hits and two runs scored for the Rockies, who had lost seven of nine coming into the game.
Jorge De La Rosa (9-5) was charged with two runs on two hits with four walks and four strikeouts over five-plus innings to get the win.
"My mechanics weren't so good today," De La Rosa admitted. "I was a little wild but I'm glad I made the pitches when I needed to."
Carlos Quentin hit a two-run home run and Chris Denorfia and Chase Headley each drove in a run for the Padres, who had snapped a 10-game losing streak with Tuesday's win. Andrew Cashner (5-5) was touched for three runs -- two earned -- on eight hits with two walks and five strikeouts over five innings to stay winless in his past five starts.
"I don't think I was very good," Cashner said. "I thought I made some pitches in some counts when I was in trouble when I needed to, but just couldn't catch that big break earlier in the game."
The Rockies went on top in the second as Helton led off with a walk, later moved to third on a Yorvit Torrealba double and came home on Jonathan Herrera's sacrifice fly for a 1-0 lead.
In the third, the Rockies pushed another run across as Helton singled with two outs to score LeMahieu. Michael Cuddyer, though, was cut down at third to end the frame.
LeMahieu scored on a wild pitch from Cashner in the fifth, and a Blackmon RBI single in the sixth gave Colorado a 4-0 lead.
The Padres cut their deficit in half in the sixth as Headley led off with a walk and Quentin followed with his 11th home run of the year, a blast over the wall in center.
Edgmer Escalona then took the mound and allowed San Diego to put men on the corners, but he got Mark Kotsay to fly out and end the frame.
San Diego made it a one-run game in the seventh off Matt Belisle as Everth Cabrera led off with a double and scored on a Denorfia single. Belisle kept the lead, though, by setting down the next three batters.
The Rockies got the run back in the eighth off an RBI triple from Blackmon that plated Corey Dickerson, who reached base on an infield single.
The Padres got an RBI single in the ninth and had the tying run at second, but Rafael Betancourt got Quentin to foul out, with Helton reaching into the Colorado dugout to grab the ball and give Betancourt his 13th save of the year.
Colorado starts a four-game series in Los Angeles on Thursday ... The Padres host San Francisco for four games starting on Thursday ... The Rockies have won 10 of 13 against the Padres this season ... San Diego batted 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position and left nine on base, while Colorado was 2-for-13 with RISP and stranded 12.
- COLORADO: 5
SAN DIEGO: 4
Jul 11 1:44 AM
- Chase Headley singled to left center scored Everth Cabrera. Runner on first with two outs and Carlos Quentin due up.
Rockies 5, Padres 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsJul 11 1:39 AM
- Charlie Blackmon tripled to right scored Corey Dickerson. Runner on third with one out and DJ LeMahieu due up.
Rockies 5, Padres 3 Top 8, 1 OutJul 11 1:00 AM
- Chris Denorfia singled to right scored Everth Cabrera. Runner on first with none out and Chase Headley due up.
Rockies 4, Padres 3 Bot 7, 0 OutsJul 11 12:46 AM
- Carlos Quentin none-out, two-run Home Run (11) to center scored Chase Headley. Jesus Guzman due up.
Rockies 4, Padres 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 11 12:15 AM
- Charlie Blackmon singled to left scored Jonathan Herrera. Runner on first with two outs and DJ LeMahieu due up.
Rockies 4, Padres 0 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 11 12:08 AM
- Andrew Cashner's wild pitch scored D.J. LaMahieu, Michael Cuddyer advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Nolan Arenado at the plate.
Rockies 3, Padres 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 10 11:39 PM
- Todd Helton singled to center scored DJ LeMahieu. On the play, Michael Cuddyer was thrown out at third to end the inning.
Rockies 2, Padres 0 Mid 3Jul 10 11:03 PM
- Jonathan Herrera sacrifice fly to center scored Todd Helton. Runner on second with two outs and Jorge De La Rosa due up.
Rockies 1, Padres 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 10 10:38 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 10 10:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22