Blanco lifts Giants past PadresJul 12, 2013 - 6:42 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Gregor Blanco drove in the winning run in the eighth inning as the San Francisco Giants took a 4-2 win over the San Diego Padres to open a four-game series.
Blanco finished the game 3-for-5 with a run scored, while Pablo Sandoval hit a solo home run and scored twice for the Giants, who had lost eight of nine coming into the game.
Madison Bumgarner (10-5) settled down from a rough first inning to pitch seven strong frames, giving up just four hits and two runs along with a walk and six strikeouts to win his third straight start.
"Early, he was getting under the ball and leaving pitches up. But he made a nice adjustment and gave us seven solid innings in a much, much-needed win," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy.
Carlos Quentin and Kyle Blanks each drove in a run for the Padres, who have lost 12 of their last 13 games. Jason Marquis started on the mound and gave up two runs on seven hits in 5 1/3 innings.
With Luke Gregerson (4-5) on the mound and the score tied in the eighth, Kensuke Tanaka singled and quickly stole second. Tanaka then moved to third on a Brandon Crawford groundout and Tony Abreu was hit by a pitch. Blanco then drilled a pitch to deep left and it hopped over the wall for an RBI ground- rule double. Abreu was caught in a rundown between third and home on a Marco Scutaro grounder, but Buster Posey punched a single to center for a 4-2 lead.
Sandy Rosario worked around a two-out single in the eighth, while Sergio Romo put the Padres down 1-2-3 in the ninth for his 21st save of the season.
The Padres jumped on top in the first as Chris Denorfia and Chase Headley put runners at the corners with back-to-back one-out singles. Quentin then doubled to score Denorfia and Jesus Guzman was issued an intentional walk to load the bases. Blanks then hit into a fielder's choice, scoring Headley for a 2-0 lead.
"That was our best opportunity to really stretch that lead," said San Diego manager Bud Black. "He's a really good pitcher and you have to take advantage of what he gives you. We did a decent job of that there, but we just couldn't get the big hit."
San Francisco left runners at first and third in the third inning, but got on the board in the fourth as Sandoval led off with his ninth home run of the season.
The Giants then tied the game in the sixth as Tanaka singled home Sandoval with the bases loaded and one out. Joe Thatcher then came on in relief and got Crawford to hit a grounder back to the mound for the force out at home, and Dale Thayer struck out Bumgarner to end the frame.
Bumgarner settled down after the rough first inning and set the Padres down in order from the second through the fifth inning. He gave up a two-out single to Quentin in the sixth, but then struck out Guzman.
San Francisco has won six of the 10 games against San Diego this season ... San Francisco was just 4-for-15 with runners in scoring position and stranded 12 men ... The Padres were 1-for-3 with RISP and left four.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 4
SAN DIEGO: 2
Jul 12 1:16 AM
- Buster Posey single to left scored Gregor Blanco with two out. On the play, Marco Scutaro advances to third. Runners on first and third and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 4, Padres 2 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 12 12:42 AM
- Gregor Blanco ground-rule double to left scored Kensuke Tanaka with one out. On the play, Tony Abreu advances to third. Runners on second and third and Marco Scutaro due up.
Giants 3, Padres 2 Top 8, 1 OutJul 12 12:40 AM
- Kensuke Tanaka single to center scored Pablo Sandoval with one out. On the play, Brandon Belt advances to second and Hunter Pence advances to third. Bases loaded and Brandon Crawford due up.
Giants 2, Padres 2 Top 6, 1 OutJul 11 11:45 PM
- Pablo Sandoval lead-off Home Run (9) to right. Hunter Pence due up.
Giants 1, Padres 2 Top 4, 0 OutsJul 11 11:06 PM
- Kyle Blanks grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Chase Headley with two out. Jesus Guzman out at second. Carlos Quentin advances to third. Runners on first and third and Logan Forsythe due up.
Giants 0, Padres 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 11 10:28 PM
- Carlos Quentin double to center scored Chris Denorfia with one out. On the play, Chase Headley advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jesus Guzman due up.
Giants 0, Padres 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 11 10:25 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 11 10:11 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21