Koehler solid as Marlins down RockiesJul 23, 2013 - 6:46 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Tom Koehler worked seven innings of one-run ball and the Miami Marlins finally got on the board to rebound from a weekend of futility, beginning of a four-game set with the Colorado Rockies with a 3-1 win.
The Marlins were held scoreless while succumbing to a three-game sweep against the Milwaukee Brewers, and entered play Monday without scoring in a run in 37 consecutive innings, but ended that streak three batters into the game.
"Anytime you go as many innings as we have without scoring, everybody's feeling the pressure," said Marlins manager Mike Redmond.
Giancarlo Stanton's first post All-Star break hit went for a double into the center field gap, and later came in to score on a sac fly from Placido Polanco to give the Marlins a 2-0 lead in the first inning.
Koehler (2-5) made the lead stand from there, scattering eight hits while walking none and striking out seven. The Marlins have won in four of his last six outings.
Ed Lucas, who went 2-for-4, added on to the advantage in the third with a leadoff homer to make it 3-0. The Rockies got on the board with Troy Tulowitzki's blast in the fourth, but ended the inning by leaving a man stranded at third.
From there, Colorado managed just a pair of singles over Koehler's final three innings of work. Carlos Gonzalez ripped a one-out double in the eighth against Chad Qualls, but also was left stranded.
Steve Cishek finished it off for the Marlins and ended the team's four-game slide with a perfect ninth for his 18th save.
Drew Pomeranz (0-3) was recalled from Double-A Tulsa and continued to have issues with his command for Colorado. He was charged with all three runs while walking four in 4 1/3 innings of work.
"We got to do what we can to get him right," said Colorado manager Walt Weiss about Pomeranz. "He struggled most of the night, particularly early."
Pomeranz has never reached the fifth inning in any of his 16 starts.
After the game, the Marlins optioned second baseman Derek Dietrich and outfielder Marcell Ozuna to Double-A Jacksonville ... Pomeranz has walked 18 batters in 16 2/3 innings of work ... The Rockies had a brief two-game winning streak halted ... Ozuna and Polanco each had two hits for Miami ... Each team had nine hits ... Colorado hit 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position.
- MIAMI: 3
Jul 22 11:22 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki lead-off Home Run (17) to center. Michael Cuddyer due up.
Marlins 3, Rockies 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 22 9:45 PM
- Ed Lucas lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Marlins 3, Rockies 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 22 9:21 PM
- Placido Polanco sacrifice fly out to center scored Giancarlo Stanton. Runner on first with two outs and Donovan Solano due up.
Marlins 2, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 22 8:49 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton double to center scored Ed Lucas. Runner on second with one out and Marcell Ozuna due up.
Marlins 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 22 8:45 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 22 8:41 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21