Arroyo, Reds blank GiantsJul 23, 2013 - 5:38 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Tim Lincecum was coming off his first career no-hitter, but the Cincinnati Reds made it seem like a distant memory.
The Reds clubbed three home runs off Lincecum and Todd Frazier opened the flood gates with a three-run double in the first inning, as Cincinnati pasted the San Francisco Giants in an 11-0 victory Monday at AT&T Park.
Devin Mesoraco and Shin-Soo Choo each hit one out of the park in the second, while Jay Bruce added his 20th homer of the season the following inning to send the Reds to their fourth win in five games.
The Reds totaled 17 hits for the game while Bronson Arroyo (9-7) scattered just seven over an impressive complete-game effort. Its his first such outing of the year and the right-hander improved to 7-0 in his last 10 starts against NL opponents.
Lincecum (5-10) gave up eight runs in all on nine hits, lasting just 3 2/3 innings. Needless to say, he looked far removed from the 148-pitch brilliant performance at San Diego just nine days ago, in which he tossed the second no- hitter of the MLB season.
"He left some pitches out," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy about Lincecum. "Give them credit, they swung the bat. Its a tough start for him."
Lincecum was off to a shaky start, but looked like he might escape first inning trouble after catching Brandon Phillips in a run down toward home to get the second out. However, he then walked Bruce and served up a bases-loaded double to Frazier, and the Giants found themselves in a 3-0 hole.
Mesoraco and Choo homered two at-bats apart, each providing solo shots for a five-run spread in the second. Bruce got in on the action in the third by blasting a one-out shot to right-center to make it 6-0 Cincinnati.
The Reds actually scored in each of the first seven innings, with Phillips knocking a two-run double in fourth and Mesoraco and Bruce supplying one RBI apiece to the fifth and sixth frames, respectively.
Xavier Paul then doubled home Mesoraco in the seventh to account for the final margin.
Derrick Robinson, who went 3-for-5 and scored three runs, kept Arroyo's shutout in tact by robbing a Jeff Francouer home run on the last pitch of the game.
The two teams will play a double-header on Tuesday, with the Giants' Barry Zito squaring off against Cincinnati's Greg Reynolds in the early game and Eric Surkamp taking on Tony Cingrani in the night-cap ... Choo extended his hitting streak to 16 games ... Bruce recorded his sixth straight season of at least 20 home runs ... None of the hitters for the Giants had more than one hit.
- CINCINNATI: 11
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Jul 23 1:01 AM
- Xavier Paul doubled to right scored Devin Mesoraco. Runner on second with two outs and Derrick Robinson due up.
Reds 11, Giants 0 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 23 12:26 AM
- Jay Bruce sacrifice fly to center scored Derrick Robinson. Runner on second with two outs and Todd Frazier due up.
Reds 10, Giants 0 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 23 12:10 AM
- Devin Mesoraco singled to center scored Todd Frazier. Runner on first with one out and Bronson Arroyo due up.
Reds 9, Giants 0 Top 5, 1 OutJul 22 11:46 PM
- Brandon Phillips doubled to right scored Derrick Robinson. On the play, Joey Votto scored on Brandon Belt's fielding error. Runner on second with two outs and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 8, Giants 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 22 11:29 PM
- Jay Bruce one-out, solo Home Run (20) to right. Todd Frazier due up.
Reds 6, Giants 0 Top 3, 1 OutJul 22 11:05 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo one-out, solo Home Run (14) to left. Derrick Robinson due up.
Reds 5, Giants 0 Top 2, 1 OutJul 22 10:50 PM
- Devin Mesoraco lead-off Home Run (5) to left. Bronson Arroyo due up.
Reds 4, Giants 0 Top 2, 0 OutsJul 22 10:48 PM
- Todd Frazier doubled to center scored Derrick Robinson, Brandon Phillips and Jay Bruce. Runner on second with two outs and Zack Cozart due up.
Reds 3, Giants 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 22 10:29 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 22 10:15 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21