Corbin remains unbeaten at home, Diamondbacks top CubsJul 24, 2013 - 5:44 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Eric Chavez and A.J. Pollock each contributed three RBI to help the Arizona Diamondbacks cruise to a 10-4 victory over the Chicago Cubs in the second contest of a four game series.
Adam Eaton went 3-for-4 and crossed the plate three times for the Diamondbacks who enjoyed a 14-hit attack. The Diamondbacks remained a half-game behind the Dodgers for first place in the NL West.
"We need guys on base for sure. If we can get those guys on base, we can be more consistent," said Chavez on Arizona's offensive outburst.
Arizona received strong pitching from Patrick Corbin (12-1) who gave up only one run on four hits with six strikeouts in six innings of work. The left- hander is now 8-0 at home this season.
"Patrick wasn't really sharp early, he's just really good at battling good teams," said Arizona manager Kirk Gibson.
Chicago starter Travis Wood (6-7), who finished first half of the season with MLB leading 17 quality starts, lasted only 5 2/3 innings, Wood allowed four runs on eight hits with two strikeouts and two walks.
Junior Lake went 3-for-4 with a solo shot that was crushed to left field in the ninth inning for Chicago, which has lost four of its last six.
The Cubs took the lead in the third inning on an Anthony Rizzo single to center that drove in Wood from second.
Martin Prado tied the game with a solo shot to left field with one out in the bottom of the fifth.
Arizona took the lead in the sixth inning. Pollock doubled to left to score Adam Eaton who started off the inning with a single to center. Paul Goldschmidt was walked before Pollock moved over to third when Cody Ross grounded into a double play. Chavez tripled to drive in Pollock before a Wil Nieves single to left scored Chavez.
The Cubs got into further trouble in the seventh inning when reliever Hector Rondon loaded the bases. Chavez singled to drive in Jason Kubel and Eaton. Prado singled to center to score Goldschmidt for a 7-1 lead.
Pinch-hitter Nate Schierholtz hit a two-run home run to right-center field off reliever David Hernandez in the eighth.
Pollock would respond in the bottom of the inning with a triple off the center field wall that scored Didi Gregorius and Eaton. Goldschmidt also hit a line drive double to right field.
Both starting pitchers were National League All-Stars...Arizona improves to 18-2 when Corbin is the starting pitcher... Chicago was 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position ... Cubs manager Dale Sveum was ejected by home plate umpire Dana DeMuth in the third inning for arguing balls and strikes.
- CHICAGO: 4
Jul 24 1:10 AM
- Junior Lake one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 4, Diamondbacks 10 Top 9, 1 OutJul 24 1:07 AM
- Paul Goldschmidt double to right scored A.J. Pollock with one out. Runner on second and Cody Ross due up.
Cubs 3, Diamondbacks 10 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 24 12:57 AM
- A.J. Pollock triple to center scored Didi Gregorius and Adam Eaton with one out. Runner on third and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Cubs 3, Diamondbacks 9 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 24 12:56 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Nate Schierholtz two-out, two-run Home Run (12) to right scored Alfonso Soriano. Darwin Barney due up.
Cubs 3, Diamondbacks 7 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 24 12:40 AM
- Martin Prado single to center scored Paul Goldschmidt with two outs. On the play, Eric Chavez advances to third. Runners on first and third and Wil Nieves due up.
Cubs 1, Diamondbacks 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 24 12:27 AM
- Eric Chavez single to left scored Jason Kubel and Adam Eaton with two outs. On the play, Paul Goldschmidt advances to third. Runners on first and third and Martin Prado due up.
Cubs 1, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 24 12:26 AM
- Wil Nieves single to left scored Eric Chavez with two outs. On the play, Martin Prado advances to second. Runners on first and second and Didi Gregorius due up.
Cubs 1, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 23 11:54 PM
- Eric Chavez triple to center scored A.J. Pollock with two outs. Runner on third and Martin Prado due up.
Cubs 1, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 23 11:48 PM
- A.J. Pollock double to left scored Adam Eaton with none out. Runner on second and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Cubs 1, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 23 11:40 PM
- Martin Prado one-out, solo Home Run (9) to left. Wil Nieves due up.
Cubs 1, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 23 11:20 PM
- Anthony Rizzo single to center scored Travis Wood with one out. On the play, Starlin Castro advances to second. Runners on first and second and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Cubs 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 3, 1 OutJul 23 10:26 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 23 9:41 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21