Reds overpower Giants in game one of doubleheaderJul 24, 2013 - 2:23 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Devin Mesoraco hit a three-run home run as the Cincinnati Reds took a 9-3 win over the San Francisco Giants to open a doubleheader.
Zack Cozart went 4-for-4 with a solo home run, two RBI and three runs scored while Todd Frazier added a pair of RBI for the Reds, who have won five of six.
Tony Cingrani (4-1) gave up just two runs on five hits with three walks and two strikeouts in 6 2/3 innings to pick up his first win since June 11.
Eric Surkamp's (0-1) first start in two years didn't last long as he was tagged for seven runs on nine hits in just 2 2/3 innings. He was making his first appearance in the majors since undergoing Tommy John surgery last July 24.
"I was really excited to be out here tonight," said Surkamp. "Unfortunately it didn't work out the way I wanted it to. I still have some things to work on, but I feel like I'm close."
Kensuke Tanaka, Pablo Sandoval and Guillermo Quiroz each drove in a run for the Giants, who have dropped three straight.
This doubleheader is scheduled as a classic doubleheader, but the Reds will be the home team in the second game as that contest is a rescheduled meeting from a rain-postponed July 4 encounter in Cincinnati.
The Giants worked a run across in the first as Andres Torres led off with a walk, moved to third on a Marco Scutaro single and later scored on a sac fly from Sandoval.
Cincinnati, though, went on top in the second inning. With one out, Jay Bruce hit a ground-rule double and Frazier followed with a bloop single to shallow right. After Cozart singled in a run, Mesoraco followed with a blast over the wall in left for a 4-1 lead.
The Reds added to their lead in the third inning as Joey Votto led off with his 16th home run of the season and RBI singles from Frazier and Cingrani made it a 7-1 game.
San Fran got a run back in the fourth courtesy of a sac fly from Quiroz, but Cozart answered in the fifth with his eighth homer of the season, a two-out solo shot to left.
Frazier's run-scoring groundout in the seventh made it a 9-2 contest.
Tanaka beat out a double play in the bottom of the ninth to plate another run and account for the final margin.
Cincinnati center fielder Shin-Soo Choo went 0-for-3 in the game and had a 16- game hitting streak snapped ... The Reds have won all five games against the Giants this season ... The Giants batted just 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position and left eight on base ... The Reds went 5-for-8 with RISP.
- CINCINNATI: 9
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Jul 23 9:58 PM
- Kensuke Tanaka's fielder's choice to short scored Guillermo Quiroz with two out. Brandon Crawford out at second. Runner on first and Andres Torres due up.
Reds 9, Giants 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsJul 23 9:56 PM
- Todd Frazier's ground out short to first scored Brandon Phillips with two out. None on and Zack Cozart due up.
Reds 9, Giants 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 23 9:11 PM
- Zack Cozart two-out, solo Home Run (8) to left. Devin Mesoraco due up.
Reds 8, Giants 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 23 8:40 PM
- Guillermo Quiroz sacrifice fly out to right scored Pablo Sandoval with two out. Runner on first and Brandon Crawford due up.
Reds 7, Giants 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 23 8:32 PM
- Tony Cingrani single to left center scored Zack Cozart with two out. On the play, Devin Mesoraco advances to second. Runners on first and second and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Reds 7, Giants 1 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 23 8:01 PM
- Todd Frazier single to left scored Jay Bruce with one out. Todd Frazier tagged out at second. None on with two outs and Zack Cozart due up.
Reds 6, Giants 1 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 23 7:56 PM
- Joey Votto lead-off Home Run (16) to left center. Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 5, Giants 1 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 23 7:49 PM
- Devin Mesoraco one-out, three-run Home Run (6) to left scored Todd Frazier and Zack Cozart. Tony Cingrani due up.
Reds 4, Giants 1 Top 2, 1 OutJul 23 7:34 PM
- Zack Cozart single to left scored Jay Bruce with one out. On the play, Todd Frazier advances to second. Runners on first and second and Devin Mesoraco due up.
Reds 1, Giants 1 Top 2, 1 OutJul 23 7:33 PM
- Pablo Sandoval sacrifice fly out to center scored Andres Torres with two out. Runner on first and Hunter Pence due up.
Reds 0, Giants 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 23 7:23 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 23 7:06 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21