Gomez, Lohse help Brewers down PadresJul 25, 2013 - 4:17 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - Carlos Gomez went 4-for-4 with two doubles and two RBI and Kyle Lohse spun seven strong innings as the Milwaukee Brewers edged the San Diego Padres, 3-1, in the third of a four-game set at Miller Park.
"Gomez had really nice at-bats today. We had a lot of opportunities. We still should have scored more runs," said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke. "It is nice to see guys get into scoring position. The offense was definitely better, but I still would like to see us score a bunch of runs when we get the opportunities."
Lohse (7-7) gave up one run on five hits to pick up his fourth win in five starts. The right-hander struck out six without issuing a walk.
"His style is such that he can pitch in well and go away. This guy is a good pitcher, we just couldn't break through on any mistakes he made. Offensively we just couldn't get any runs," Padres manager Bud Black said of Lohse.
Norichika Aoki scored twice for the Brewers, who have won five of their last seven games.
Jim Henderson stranded a runner in the ninth to nail down his 11th save of the season.
Nick Hundley hit a solo homer for the Padres, who are 5-17 since June 29.
Sean O'Sullivan (0-2) allowed three runs -- two earned -- on seven hits and three walks over 6 1/3 innings to absorb the loss.
Hundley smashed the first pitch of the third inning over the wall in left to give the Padres a 1-0 lead.
Milwaukee, though, countered with a pair in the home half to take the lead. With the bases loaded and one out, Gomez crushed a double off the wall in center to score Rickie Weeks and Aoki.
The Brewers added another run on a bizarre play in the seventh inning. With runners on the corners, Gomez broke for second base. Reliever Joe Thayer attempted to pick off Aoki at third, but Padres third baseman Chase Headley quickly fired the ball to second to catch Gomez. Headley's throw bounced off second base umpire Bob Davidson's back and into left field, however, allowing Aoki to score.
Lohse has won six of his last seven decisions ... Pitcher Alfredo Figaro was reinstated from the 15-day disabled list earlier on Wednesday ... The Brewers will play 16 of their next 19 games on the road following the conclusion of this series ... Carlos Quentin had his five-game hitting streak snapped.
- SAN DIEGO: 1
Jul 24 11:01 PM
- Carlos Gomez stole second advances to third on Nick Hundley's throwing error. Noichika Aoki scored on Nick Hundley's throwing error. Runner on third with two out and Juan Francisco at the plate.
Padres 1, Brewers 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 24 10:39 PM
- Carlos Gomez double to center scored Rickie Weeks and Norichika Aoki. On the play, Jonathan Lucroy advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Juan Francisco due up.
Padres 1, Brewers 2 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 24 9:05 PM
- Nick Hundley lead-off Home Run (8) to left. Sean O`Sullivan due up.
Padres 1, Brewers 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 24 8:52 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 24 8:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22