Marlins hold off RockiesJul 26, 2013 - 2:42 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Donovan Solano capped a four-run ninth inning with a two-run homer and the Miami Marlins held off the Colorado Rockies, 5-3, in the finale of a four-game series at Coors Field.
Giancarlo Stanton smacked an RBI double and Ed Lucas knocked in a run after Rob Brantly crossed the plate in the eighth to break a scoreless tie as the Marlins captured three games of this four-game set.
The Marlins came to Colorado on the heels of a three-game sweep to the Brewers and in the midst of a 37-inning scoreless streak.
"Great job to salvage what looked like was going to be a really rough road trip," said Marlins manager Mike Redmond.
Dan Jennings (1-1) pitched a perfect seventh in relief of Nathan Eovaldi, who tossed six innings of scoreless ball. Kevin Slowey surrendered three runs -- two earned -- in the ninth, but Steve Cishek closed the door to pick up his 20th save.
The Rockies only had three hits until the ninth. Michael Cuddyer, Wilin Rosario and Nolan Arenado each drove in a run during the final frame, but Jonathan Herrera hit into a game-ending double play.
Adam Ottavino (0-2) relieved starter Juan Nicasio after the contest went to a 1-hour and 33-minute rain delay at the conclusion of the seventh inning. He allowed the go-ahead run to score in the eighth on a wild pitch.
"Everytime you lose it's hard," said Ottavino. "Juan pitched a great game today and we were right there, had a good shot to win it and we were't able to execute."
Prior to the rain, Nicasio and Eovaldi were locked into a pitching duel. Nicasio struck out nine and allowed just two hits and a walk over seven frames, while Eovaldi yielded three hits and a pair of walks over a six-inning stint.
When the tarp came off the field, Ottavino took over to start the eighth and the Marlins took advantage.
Brantly and Greg Dobbs reached with consecutive two-out singles to put runners at the corners. Ottavino then threw a wild pitch and Brantly came home to give Miami a 1-0 lead.
The Marlins tacked on some extra insurance in the ninth, beginning the frame with back-to-back doubles from Christian Yelich and Stanton to take a 2-0 lead. Lucas then knocked in Stanton with an RBI single and Solano followed with a two-run blast to give the Marlins a five-run advantage.
Slowey tried to close it out but surrendered hits to all three batters he faced, with Cuddyer tagging him for an RBI double and Rosario bringing him in with a single to make it 5-2.
Cishek came on and served up a one-out RBI single to Arenado, but then got Herrera to ground into a double play to end the game.
Colorado's Carlos Gonzalez aggravated his sprained right middle finger and was lifted in the fourth inning. He's considered day to day ... The Marlins placed outfielder Marcell Ozuna on the 15-day disabled list ... Cuddyer, Rosario and Arenado each had two hits for Colorado.
- MIAMI: 5
Jul 25 7:23 PM
- Nolan Arenado single to right. On the play, Wilin Rosario scored on Giancarlo Stanton's fielding error with one out. Runner on first and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Marlins 5, Rockies 3 Bot 9, 1 OutJul 25 7:22 PM
- Wilin Rosario single to center scored Michael Cuddyer with none out. On the play, Wilin Rosario advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Charlie Blackmon due up.
Marlins 5, Rockies 2 Bot 9, 0 OutsJul 25 7:15 PM
- Michael Cuddyer double to center scored Jordan Pacheco with none out. Runner on second and Wilin Rosario due up.
Marlins 5, Rockies 1 Bot 9, 0 OutsJul 25 7:12 PM
- Donovan Solano one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Ed Lucas. Jake Marisnick due up.
Marlins 5, Rockies 0 Top 9, 1 OutJul 25 7:01 PM
- Ed Lucas infield single to center scored Giancarlo Stanton with one out. Runner on first and Donovan Solano due up.
Marlins 3, Rockies 0 Top 9, 1 OutJul 25 7:01 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton double to left scored Christian Yelich with none out. Runner on second and Logan Morrison due up.
Marlins 2, Rockies 0 Top 9, 0 OutsJul 25 6:59 PM
- Greg Dobbs advances to second and Rob Brantly scored on a Adam Ottavino wild pitch with two out. Runner on second and Adeiny Hechavarria at the plate.
Marlins 1, Rockies 0 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 25 6:45 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 25 3:13 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21